GSP relocation to Full Marine

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

GSP relocation to Full Marine

Post by Hillehaus »

My Saltwater tank has been assembled, cycled, fallow for a while, and finally populated.

After two full days of living in pure terror my GSP is finally acting normal and settling into its new home. I didn't have much of a acclimatization to do since there was only a 0.004 difference in SG between the two tanks. I think the new LED light system seriously weirded it out. It is way brighter than before.

I will say that, the GSPs color has dramatically improved since entering its new home. Aside from the money I spend on it, it is wildly amusing to see it actively hunt my clean up crew. It is nice seeing the change in personality from upgrading to a larger swimming space.

I just instantly regretted choosing a blue background. Next water change I'm going to peel it off and paint it black.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP relocation to Full Marine

Post by Pufferpunk »

Black may darken the puffer. Why not blue?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

Perhaps. The problem is, my equipment is black and sticks out like a sore thumb. It would also blend in with the space around it better if it were black.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

My GSPs 40 long mixed reef is the only tank I took the time to paint the back black. Best one out of the bunch. Definitely makes all of my equipment less noticeable. Several coats of indoor semi gloss with a small roller did the trick.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

I'm still working out the logistics of that. The problem is...the tank weighs 400+lbs...the stand weighs around 80-90lbs because for some reason I built strong enough to support my Jeep...it is tucked into a small space...etc. etc. etc.

I wish I had planned better. It has a blue removable background on it at the moment. That is the only thing I'm not happy about with this set up.

It is remarkable how different the behavior has been in the last week. A little more room to swim brings out a lot more personality. I also lost 3 more dwarf cerinths yesterday. the funny part about it is that the GSP hovers above the snail for a few seconds while staring me down as if "look, look what I'm about to do". Then slams the thing. Oh well, I knew going into it that everything was food.
itlagswrx
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (Pod)
Leopard Toby Puffer (Igor)
Location (country): Sonoran Desert

Post by itlagswrx »

I, too, have a black background on all of my five aquariums for the same reasons. Without out, the equipment would stick out like a sore thumb, and I actually like how black adds to the depth of the tank.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Haven't attempted painting a tank in place yet. It should be doable though. How much clearance do you have behind the tank as it stands now?
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

Enough I suppose. 5"? 6"? Ply wife may not like me hitting the wall behind it but, it will be hidden for a long time.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

Quick update. The tank is still doing well. The GSP...he's weird. 90% of the time he hides in the live rock. The other 10% is feeding time. So now I have a tank that looks like it has no occupants. Heh. What a weirdo. Anyone experience similar behavior?
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Mine always tries to get my attention but my cardinal tetras are the complete opposite the second i walk in the room they hide. With the paint you can tape up a masking sheet or drop cloth on the wall. It will be tight but i think its do-able.
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

Post by Maggiec »

Just curious whether you ever repainted the background. I overloooked that & wondering whether I should bother. Would love to see a picture of your tank
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

I never bothered, actually. I still plan on it just haven't gotten around to it.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Hillehaus wrote:I also lost 3 more dwarf cerinths yesterday. the funny part about it is that the GSP hovers above the snail for a few seconds while staring me down as if "look, look what I'm about to do". Then slams the thing. Oh well, I knew going into it that everything was food.
Something good I have done with hermit crabs and snails is I litter the tank with empty shells for a while. This will "confuse" the puffers to the point where they wont check anymore. (at least in my experience with my GSP's) I then added a couple snails and about a half dozen hermit crabs and I have only lost maybe one over the past couple years.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hmmm... wonder where you got that idea! ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Pufferpunk wrote:Hmmm... wonder where you got that idea! ;)
hahaha Guess I am busted.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.