Help! Need puffer identification

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Pandora114
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: C. travancoricus RIP both of you little guys. Tank will be a F8 after GSP goes full marine
T. nigroviridis Named Pepsi

Help! Need puffer identification

Post by Pandora114 »

This guy is for sale on my local yardsale site by some guy who doesn't know Eff all about puffers. I missed out on rescuing fahakas from him. (He put TWO In a community tank full of tetras FFS one lived, then he sold it I was gonna get it but no tank..)

He says it's an "Orange Saddle Puffer" and thinks it should be kept in brackish. Anyone? Thanks!

ETA: OH GODS IT's a Fugu Ocelatus Poor thing is in fresh water right now. I really wish I could set up my tank and get it cycled right away... bloody hell this guy is such an idiot..
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Help! Need puffer identification

Post by Pufferpunk »

SW is quickly cycled with established LR. But in this fish's case, you can also slowly raise the SG to SW during the next few months or do the 1st suggestion & drip acclimate.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pandora114
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: C. travancoricus RIP both of you little guys. Tank will be a F8 after GSP goes full marine
T. nigroviridis Named Pepsi

Re: Help! Need puffer identification

Post by Pandora114 »

Unfortunately we only have a 32gal, with the LR and substrate it wouldn't be nearly enough room. :(

He's not mine. He belongs to an idiot that refuses to be educated and makes fun of me when I try. He's trying to sell the fish for $150. If anyone in the Annapolis Valley would like to try to rescue it, I'll provide the ad.

The guy who has him used to have 2 Fahakas in a 100gal community tank full of tetras. those two fahakas ate very well until the tetras were all gone then they turned on each other. He tried to sell the remaining one but it died before he could line up a buyer (he wanted like $300 for it)

I tried to educate him. It failed. He was like "I feed my puffers shucked clams and shelled shrimp" and I'm like "Dude, that's not gonna be good for them, they need the shell." and he started making fun of me and saying that the shells would cut up the intestines of the fish. ... ... He never has observed a puffer eating obviously.

Right now I"m just venting because I see him get all these beautiful exotic fish, and pretty much murders them out of ignorance. I even tried to direct him here but he refuses to take the word of "random people on the internet" because his fish guy knows everything.

I almost concussed myself when he said that.

Also the closer I look at that picture, the more I'm sure that the poor guy has IP's.