Tips for decorating tank

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Tips for decorating tank

Post by BedScien »

I'm hoping to graduate from the manmade decorations onto something a bit cooler and more complex :D

So I was thinking of picking up some rocks from a DIY store or something?

But I'm concerned about weight, how much room it would take up, and obv pollution issues

Any tips?

Thanks in advance
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Re: Tips for decorating tank

Post by BedScien »

Also thinking of putting some fossilized megalodon teeth in there...
Don't shoot! I'm just thinking out loud ;)
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Tips for decorating tank

Post by Iliveinazoo »

BedScien wrote:I'm hoping to graduate from the manmade decorations onto something a bit cooler and more complex :D

So I was thinking of picking up some rocks from a DIY store or something?

But I'm concerned about weight, how much room it would take up, and obv pollution issues

Any tips?

Thanks in advance
Most rocks from a DIY shop or garden centre should be fine just avoid the ones with veins or that fizz when splashed with vinegar.

The problem with rocks is that they are dense and will displace a lot of water, you could work out the approximate density by calculating the mass and volume to approximate how much water it would displace, but there would be the inevitable fudge factor since you are not going to get a nice perfectly square rock. As for weight, as long as you spread the weight of the rocks and don't impose them directly onto the glass then you shouldn't have issues there.

I was going to go use plum slate but felt that I would have to compromise too much water to achieve the height that I wanted, I'm going to go down the Redmoor root option instead. But If you don't have any fish in mind yet then you might just want to set your tank up with your chosen décor and choose your future fish to suit the water volume - saves on calculations and approximations.