Puffertopia

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
kENNY
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Dwarf Puffer x2 - 5gHex
Location (country): USA

Puffertopia

Post by kENNY »

I'm having a bit of dilemma. Recently, I've been trying to make sense of my life and the tanks are involved in that. I have a 15gal reef[that runs on a 24" 96W[right now 48W] quad bulb T5HO light]:
Stocked with about 7 shelled creatures[thin stripe hermit, dwarf blue leg hermit, nassarius snails & zebra turbo snails], an ocellaris clownfish, a rescue Sergeant Major damsel and a blue damsel. The corals come down to green implosion palys, Kenya tree, pom pom xenias, green star polyps, yellow polyps & toadstool coral. Nothing fancy or unable to take a couple of nips. I never plan to have anything fancier, just add some regular mushrooms.

To make my question short and sweet, what would you do in my shoes if you wanted a valentini puffer? I'm willing to say goodbye to my hermit crabs/nassarius snails as well as the damsels[who need to go anyways] and jump up to a 29gal. Could that work? That'd leave me with my turbo snails, ocellaris clownfish, the corals and the valentini.

This is all for the sake of discussion. If you have any thoughts, feel free to share.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Puffertopia

Post by Pufferpunk »

I wouldn't keep one in <30g.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
kENNY
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Dwarf Puffer x2 - 5gHex

Post by kENNY »

I was thinking the 29gal because of this: ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Marine/C_Valentini/

It would fit my needs. I expect to, at some point, have to replace my reef light and I can deal with getting one better suited for the tank then but everything else would work great in a 29 that I can get for around $30 on the dollar per gallon sale. I also never found a true 30gal rectangular tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

30g long is rectangular.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

As far as the light goes I have a 30" aquatic life 4bulb t5ho, which is a 24" light inside a 30" housing, over a 4 foot long tank. stocked with a decent amount of coral. So you could make due with your light if you get a suspension kit. only limitation to this is you would want to center anything higher light towards the center.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk