Help! New to the puffer aquarium

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Bronsonev
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Help! New to the puffer aquarium

Post by Bronsonev »

I have recently bought a porcupine puffer and he comes out at night when all the lights are off but during the day he just lays on the bottom behind my live rock. Is this normal for a new puffer.
55 gallon tank, he is little right now, as he grows we will move him to a bigger tank. My ammonia and nitrite are both zero and PH is 8.0. My nitrate sky rocketed to around 20 ppm so I have been doing water changes almost daily but they aren't falling, I think it might be due to something with my apt water. We have a canister filter, brand new with floss, ceramic stones, carbon, and a polishing sponge that I only plan to run for the next couple weeks to hopefully help clear any extra tank junk that is causing the nitrates. Protein skimmer and circulation fans keep the tank well aerated. I have been putting frozen marine food with krill, blood worms, clams, etc in small doses into the tank in hopes he will come and eat but he just scavenges when the lights go out. I have a maroon clown and a couple fire tails that normally eat all the food before it hits the ground. Thoughts??
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Help! New to the puffer aquarium

Post by bertie 83 »

It is very common for new puffers to go on a hunger strike. Welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Help! New to the puffer aquarium

Post by Pufferpunk »

Get rid of that canister, it's a nitrate factory. Save you a ton on $alt! Get a good HOB protein skimmer. How much live rock is in there. You running powerheads?

I always found it mind-boggling that a fish with so much protection : mottled colors to match it's surroundings, spines & heavy-duty toxins, would be so shy... When I go diving, I rarely ever saw them out during the day. They were considered a nighttime creature.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"