Looking for help with Lined Burrfish..

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
T Kim
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Monterey County, California, USA

Looking for help with Lined Burrfish..

Post by T Kim »

Hi! So here is my situation... I recently received 2 small Lined Burrfish (1 1/2 inch). They were kind of a rescue, so they were unexpected. I have had them about a week. They are eating great, appear very healthy and are absolutely adorable!!! I just love them!!! The thing is that I want to do what's best for them! I have them in a 50 gallon tank and can move them into a 125 when they get bigger. I have read a lot of information, but find that much of it seems conflicting. I am hoping some of you who are experienced with these fish can help guide me.

I am actually trying to decide whether to keep them or maybe find them a more suitable home if that is in their best interest. I would like to to hear what you think about keeping the two of them together long term, or whether they should be seperated. I am also concerned that a 125 tank might not be big enough for them when full grown. Am wondering how fast they grow and just how big they get in captivity. Feeding isn't an issue because I live near the coast and can easily obtain a variety of shellfish and shrimp, etc... for them. I also don't mind that they are messy eaters. I work from home and can easily keep up with tank maintenance.

One last question... I have read that they do best in a species only tank. That's what they are in right now, but I do have a couple of dwarf angels, a tomatoe clown and a 6 lined wrasse in the 125 right now. Am wondering if I will need to move those fish out before I move puffers into that tank? All thoughts and experiences will be greatly appreciated because I know that different people have different results when working with their tanks!! Thank you so much!! T Kim :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Looking for help with Lined Burrfish..

Post by Pufferpunk »

Can you post a pic of them? How do their bellies' look? This species is known for chronic IPs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
T Kim
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Monterey County, California, USA

Re: Looking for help with Lined Burrfish..

Post by T Kim »

Not good at this computer stuff, but am going to try and send a video. Trying to get a photo of them was impossible... for me at least!! LOL