Valentini puffer hiding/laying on rock

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
le0p
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Valentini puffer hiding/laying on rock

Post by le0p »

Hey all,

I have a new valentini puffer who was doing great for the first two weeks but within the last two days, started hiding and laying on the rocks all day long. Previously, he was very active, hunting on the live rock, eating stomatella snails and whatever other tiny invertebrates he found.

It looks a little puffy and has a small white mark on its back. I am not sure what happened but I'm thinking it may have been stung by the bubble tip in the tank or attacked by the large Sally lightfoot crab. Maybe that's why he looks a little puffy?

Everyone else in the tank looks good and the water tested fine: Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, ph 8.4, calcium 480, magnesium 1360, KH 9.5. I do a 20% water change weekly.

This is in a 40 breeder with a 20g sump.

The inhabitants consist of an ORA spotcinctus clown, the puffer, a peppermint shrimp and the sally lightfoot crab. There is a torch coral, hammer, trumpet, GSP, acan, meteor shower, a couple ricordias, and small shroom.

So yeah, just looking to get some advice on how to help him out. I'd rather take him back to the store than have him die, so I was hoping to get some insight on what might be wrong with him.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Valentini puffer hiding/laying on rock

Post by Pufferpunk »

IMO, the store: A. Won't take him back ill or B. Will flush him, rather than adding them to their system.
I have lots of fish with my BTAs & they've never been stung. Can you post a pic?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
le0p
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by le0p »

This is a very small store and the owner is really great, he's told me in the past to bring anything back if it doesn't work out. I'm pretty sure he will take it and QT it. Since I know that's what he did when I donated all my freshwater fish to him.

The bta stung my clown a few days after I put it in the tank, that's the only reason I thought it's a possibility.

I will try and get a pic next time he's out. Right now he's disappeared into the rock work. I have only seen him for a couple hours in the morning the last two days.

Here's a shot of the tank:

Gunner
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Dodge City, Kansas, USA

Post by Gunner »

le0p wrote:This is a very small store and the owner is really great, he's told me in the past to bring anything back if it doesn't work out. I'm pretty sure he will take it and QT it. Since I know that's what he did when I donated all my freshwater fish to him.

The bta stung my clown a few days after I put it in the tank, that's the only reason I thought it's a possibility.

I will try and get a pic next time he's out. Right now he's disappeared into the rock work. I have only seen him for a couple hours in the morning the last two days.

Here's a shot of the tank:

very beautiful tank my friend, unfortunately i have no advice to give on the valentini. But I do have a question...I was under the impression that clowns were immune to anemones, hence the reason they "host" them, is that not 100% correct?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's how mine sleeps.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"