Meet The-New-Guy, Our New Striped Burrfish

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
FishFan
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Orbicular Burrfish (Oblio, shown in the avatar), Striped Burrfish
Location (country): Maine USA

Meet The-New-Guy, Our New Striped Burrfish

Post by FishFan »

Last month we got No-Name-Yet, our Orbicular Burrfish who is now named Oblio, or OB for short. A week ago we we got The-New-Guy, a Striped Burrfish of about 2.5 inches. He is extremely active and likes to surf the stream from the power head on his sponge filter. As with Mr. Busy, our previous Striped Burrfish (circa 2008), he was a finicky eater for a couple days eating half a frozen krill day 1, then 1 on day 2, 2 on day three, and now he is a glutton and eats everything we drop in his tank (Hikari frozen clams, Hikari carnivore pellets, nets, etc). Yesterday he shocked us by eating 3/4 of a night crawler we didn't think would even fit in his mouth. Before he started his belly was slightly concave. Once he got the tail end in his mouth he kept swallowing until no more would go in. After working at it for about 5 minutes swimming around backwards, he finally bit it in two. His back end was so heavy he swam around with his head tilted up about 45 degrees for the rest of the night. No more worries about eating. Now he's trying to eat just about everything in his tank.

As with most of our Burrfish, he developed a few Crypt spots almost immediately (day 2). These guys are often found in riverine brackish water with SG as low as 1.006, so by the middle of his third day he was spot free at SG 1.010 with a sodium carbonate drip maintaining pH 8.0 where he'll be for the next month. The filtration will need to be upgraded, but we'll have to make a sump to fit into the stand. He'll also need a protein skimmer. I hate the CoralLife 125 we have installed on Oblio's sump as it overflows when the water level rises. We can't do anything in the tank without turning off the protein skimmer. We do water changes often enough that it doesn't produce much skimmate but It does do a great job of aerating.

The-New-Guy is living alone in his private quarantine 42 gallon hex tank with about 40 Lb of fully cured but unpopulated Fiji Pukani live rock. The rock is comprised entirely of honeycombed coral skeletons offering lots of bio filter surface area. The tank has no substrate.

He has an AquaClear 110 we dug out of storage. When we bought it, it was 1.5 inches too wide for the tank and had to be "customized" to fit. He also has a large sponge filter driven by an AquaClear 70 power head. The tank was set up the day before we got him. We had mentioned the previous week that we were looking for this specific fish (vs. the more common C. antillarum) and the store surprised us by ordering one in. Friday they called, Saturday we set up the tank (with the aged live rock, a seeded sponge filter, Dr Tim's, and Biospira), and Sunday he was acclimated. There wasn't a lot of acclimation needed because we set up the tank with SG and pH matched to the store's parameters. Still, we acclimated for an hour.

Between the seeded sponge filter, Dr Tim's, Bio-Spira, and the live rock, his water nitrogen parameters have remained perfect from day one at 0-0-low even as the salinity was dropped over 36 hours. We dosed his tank with Praziquantel for prophylactic IP treatment on day one. Because of the fresh water dilution we'll have to repeat the Praziquantel next month (don't want to dose praziquantel during hyposalinity though it would probably be ok).

OK, so that's The-New-Guy's story.

The new guy vs the night crawler.

Although victorious, he can't fit anymore in, and has to leave some for later (we netted it out). No more concave belly!
Last edited by FishFan on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
A = Anne, R =Robert

There has to be a point.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Meet The-New-Guy, Our New Striped Burrfish

Post by Pufferpunk »

What a gorgeous, adorable addition to your family! You did a great job of quick-preparing for him, too!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Tripp
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Tripp »

Wow that guy looks amazing
GSP32
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by GSP32 »

Wow he looks awesome
casc
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: "Juke" porcupine puffer 150G FOWLR
10G Aqua scape tank with Dwarf Puffer
~Non puff tank:
30G reef tank with Hawaiian Dwarf Peacock Lionfish
~GF tanks:
90G freshwater w/ fancy goldfish
90G freshwater w/ oscar
Location (country): USA, Vermont

Post by casc »

Wicked handsome little guy!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

We never seem to get such fine puffers where I live! Love him or her
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
FishFan
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Orbicular Burrfish (Oblio, shown in the avatar), Striped Burrfish
Location (country): Maine USA

Post by FishFan »

To end this thread we thought a link to the thread describing this little guy's sudden demise would be appropriate. He got sick and died very suddenly.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33656
A = Anne, R =Robert

There has to be a point.