Puffers with Lion Fish

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Keebla
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Texas

Puffers with Lion Fish

Post by Keebla »

saw this video on youtube was wondering is it normal to have puffers with lionfish? are they an acceptable pair in saltwater tanks, i have a 100g freshwater i just bought a second 125g tank wanted to make it saltwater would i be able to do any puffer with a lionfish? anyone out there thats tried this combo i also noticed at the fish store a porcupine puffer and a lionfish together.

defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Re: Puffers with Lion Fish

Post by defool89 »

ive said this before and I still believe that it can work for a while but its like housing a bulldog with a porcupine in a playpen. those spikes on a lionfish aren't just for intimidation, and those teeth on a puffer aren't just for smiles.
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by Ti_CLaD »

At the LFS where I bought my puffer, (I know they keep fishes only to sell) but they have put a porcupine puffer with a lionfish in the same little 20gallon tank, they've been together for at least 4months to my knowing, probably more than that...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Do what you want--your fish, your tank. I'm telling you, after 40 years of fish-keeping experience, it won't work.
We are on this site to try to keep our puffers alive for as long as possible. 4 months is nothing...
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I would highly recommend against it.

EDIT: Fixed the video link.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

We often get new members here trying to save puffers from lion fish stings, it is just a really bad mix
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by Ti_CLaD »

Pufferpunk said: Do what you want--your fish, your tank. I'm telling you, after 40 years of fish-keeping experience, it won't work.
We are on this site to try to keep our puffers alive for as long as possible. 4 months is nothing...
I never said I was willing to do so or even planning on it.. I just said I saw that too...
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Saw a dogface and lion fish in close confines at my local maidenhead aquatics earlier, one or the other will likely be dead before purchase despite my warning. Pp was not intending to be harsh I am sure, this is a regular question here and it gets a little frustrating lol. It's a little like the " just got 3 gsp puffers for my fluval edge, set up 1 week ago. Why are they dying" question. Sometimes when you get a question so regularly you give a snippy answer. Take no offence we are here to help all puffer owners.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Actually, I often misconstrue when folks try to tell me they've seen it done at a LFS--like they're arguing with my advice, because they've seen it done at a LFS. Those are only holding tanks, not permanent long-term homes. For all we know, that's the 3rd different lionfish in a month in there...
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"