Quarantine questions on marine puffers.

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
kv2wr1
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Quarantine questions on marine puffers.

Post by kv2wr1 »

Hi All,

Do any of you Freshwater dip your puffers before putting them into quarantine or do you skip the freshwater dip procees and just acclimate them to quarantine? The reason I ask is I have read that if a puffer is out of water and gets startled, they can take in air instead of water which can be hard for them to get rid of and also can be fatal if they can't get rid of the air and get stressed out. Also if they get frightening in a freshwater dip containing methylene blue or some other medicinal preventative is that bad for them since they would take in some of that water?

How would you transport one from quarantine to display after it is ready (has been through the total quarantine process and has been treated for any illnesses and/or parasites)?

Would you also need to dump some quarantine water into the display with the fish if they can't be exposed to air?

I don't have a puffer fish yet, but would like to get one in the future .

Thanks In Advance.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Quarantine questions on marine puffers.

Post by bertie 83 »

We acclimate by adding and removing water from the fish bag. You will always get a small amount of fish shop water in the tank, it's inevitable as you cannot expose them to air. I would not f/w dip as it could shock the fish. We also try to introduce the fish to their forever home straight off, puffers don't play nice as a rule so should be in species tanks off the cuff
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Quarantine questions on marine puffers.

Post by Pufferpunk »

QT is good if you are adding the fish to a tank with other fish or if your fish gets sick & you can't treat in their main tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"