Previous Fugu Owners

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Christie_ZXR
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Takifugu Ocellatus - "Mushroom"
Figure 8 Puffer - "Aleister"
Location (country): London, England

Previous Fugu Owners

Post by Christie_ZXR »

Fugu (t. occellatus) seem to have been cropping up a bit recently. It just gave me a bit of a thought, since there's not much known about them at all, wanted to take the opportunity to ask around. I know a couple of you guys have been unsuccessful with them in the past :( . But I just wondered if any of you would mind posting up what happened and what you reckon went wrong? eg, diet, water, stress maybe? Thought it could hopefully be a useful resource for anyone keeping these little guys at the moment (myself included!) to know what to look out for and what to avoid. Process of elimination and all that, I reckon any extra info is good info when it comes to fugu :)

Have to say, I'm feeling super paranoid about Mushroom at the moment! He seems fine, and nothing's changed. I'm quite aware I'm being needlessly paranoid... :lol: But I've heard the horror stories about "fine one day, dead the next" when it comes to Fugu, so I'm off on another research mission to re evaluate the way I'm keeping him, and hopefully keep him nice and healthy! :D

Any input, anything anyone's heard, or anything like that would be great, cheers guys! :D
knoids
Puffer Fry
Location (country): U.S.A

Re: Previous Fugu Owners

Post by knoids »

Is your fugu puffer named Mushroom?
(sorry, but I will not be able to tell you anything about your puffer and how to care for it)
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

You have the longest success that I know of. I think our climate helps
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Christie_ZXR
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Takifugu Ocellatus - "Mushroom"
Figure 8 Puffer - "Aleister"
Location (country): London, England

Post by Christie_ZXR »

Yes, he is called Mushroom. :)

Thanks bertie :) Have to say, horrid though it sounds, I'm after knowing more about failures :( I like to have a hunt around every now and again for new info, and it's something I've not really researched. I'm hoping it'll help to know what happened with others so I can avoid the same thing happening with Mushroom. I feel so lucky that he's doing so well, and I want to do everything I can to keep it that way.

One thing in particular that bothers me is having heard that fugu don't show any ill signs, then keel over the next day. I was wondering if others had found that to be true, or if there were any warning signs that people had seen.

One person I know told me his "did a head down dance" a few days prior to going, so I'm very concious to watch out for Mushroom doing any dances! Which he doesn't, other than when he's attacking cockles...! It's just useful to have some idea what to watch out for.That fella kept his in 1.015, and at 26 degrees. I'd guess the 26 degrees was the problem in that case.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Last edited by hadla on Sat May 26, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

If a fish suddenly dies without signs of illness something has to be very wrong. Generally I think some people may just not want to mention the fact they took a long time to react to odd behaviour, or took the wait and see approach. Keep doing what you are doing and he should be fine. Maybe of we could have previous owners list the conditions they kept theirs at?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

My guy had a serious fungal infection before he died. It covered his entire body.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

I think Yunachin had hers for years... and I think recombinantrider a similar time.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Yeah, recombinantrider had Sushi for several years at least. Sushi disappeared very suddenly several months back, unfortunately.

Christie_ZXR, Yunachin isn't with us any longer, but recombinantrider would probably be willing to pop in and share her experience.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Disappeared???
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Yeah. She was fine one day, completely gone the next. It was really puzzling and sad.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Like, missing or dead?

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Missing. Well, probably dead too - but they couldn't find a body anywhere in the house.

I AM A DUDETTE!

GSPicthus
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): NY

Post by GSPicthus »

I tried twice and failed.

1st time it was sold to me as a fresh water puffer and I didn't know anything about them. Put him in a fresh water tank and it died a few months later. It did swim around allot never buried itself seemed to eat fine and one day dead.

Did more research bought my second fugu. I acclimated him from the fresh water I purchased him in to full marine over 24 hours. Dead 2 days later. At the time also didn't know they needed cooler water so they were at about 76 degrees.

I still think they are beautiful fish but I will never attempt keeping one again.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:Missing. Well, probably dead too - but they couldn't find a body anywhere in the house.
That's just too weird... Wasn't that fish a few inches? How sad. :(