FUGU Puffer (orange saddle puffer)

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Tforbes003
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 Green spotted puffer
29g marine tank
Location (country): Oregon united states

Re: FUGU Puffer (orange saddle puffer)

Post by Tforbes003 »

hey everyone so i found that article that was above and highlighted all the key info and gave it to my friend that runs the shop so the people who bought these little guys would be educated. i did include the author and the source to give credit where it was due. i also said that the puffer forum is the place to go for info. i agree that the key to keeping them alive is the lower temp. they are unique in that way of some of the other puffers and thats why if they are in a LFS they need to be in a seperate tank than other fish so that way they can have the proper temp
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

This was a very interesting article! I was wondering about this particular species as a LFS that specializes in exotic fish just started carrying these a few days ago and they are about 3-4 inches long selling for $24.95 EACH. It intrigues me that the store has a small label on the glass stating the species name and a label stating BRACKISH FISH ONLY with them displaying that all fish are acclimated to 1.006 salinity. The FUGU puffers took the place of the F8's that they decided to no longer carry, (a pity considering that I was leaning towards getting a couple F8's there in the future) so they may still need to update the signage and salinity for the tank (I hope). It did concern me how many were buried in the gravel and the ones swimming around were a little bit skinny.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fugus do bury in SAND.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
FoOGoO
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Orange saddleback takifugu ocellatus
Location (country): USA, CA

Post by FoOGoO »

The article says acclimate to salt within 7-10 hours. Some say 1.002 sg per week until 1.020 is reached. Im not sure on how much to add and how fast or slow i should be taking this process. I really love my new orange saddleback FoOey. Please help. Im mixing oceanic sea salt mix outside the tank and adding slowly so far. Its only been one week and he seems to be doing well. I have him in a 30g with washed crushed coral, slowly dropping his temp down to 68 and sg is .002. Any advice would help.
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Post by PolishPuff »

FoOGoO wrote: Some say 1.002 sg per week until 1.020 is reached. Im not sure on how much to add and how fast or slow i should be taking this process.
.002 per week is correct
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

The 7-8 hours recommendation is for the fish alone, when you already got a running and cycled marine tank.

The 0.002 per week is if you increase salinity in a cycled tank with or without puffer to allow the bacteria populations to adjust.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to Corvus' comment above. Fish can be drip-acclimated in hours, bacteria cannot. Bacteria must be given time to develop whole new populations of higher salinity nitrification bacteria.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
FoOGoO
Puffer Fry

Post by FoOGoO »

Ok. Thanks. The lfs thought he was a f8 and he was in a 2by2 cube so i had to save him. I just needed some reeasurance that i was taking proper care. Thanks for the info.
FoOGoO
Puffer Fry

Post by FoOGoO »

(+1) it was a 2by2 cube of 78 degree freshwater. I now know he was separated because he is a verry aggresive boy. Lol
FoOGoO
Puffer Fry

Post by FoOGoO »

Ok so i just did my first water change in my fugu tank. The salinity is at 1.004 and i carefully mached it outside of the tank in a clean 5 gallon bucket. I removed about 7 gallons and replaced it successfully matching the temperature and salinity. My problem now is that the water has become more cloudy after the water change and its not getting better. Its been 4 days now. What could be going on? Please help.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think you need to do a much larger WC, than 7g. More like 50%. How did you cycle that tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

FoOGoO
Puffer Fry

Post by FoOGoO »

Ok. The tank was freshwater to begin and was cycled for 2 weeks before he was added. I used quick start and let the filter run. He seems to be doing good. The lfs said i removed to much bacteria and if it doesnt cleqr up after a week than to Iadd some. I also just set up a new 75 gallon tank with a built in overflow and wet dry system. How long should i cycle that tank before adding him in. I added a water conditioner, a quick start bacteria and matched the salinity.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

After adding the safestart did you feed the bacteria? What are your water params now?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sounds to me that the tank wasn't cycled at all then. You must either stock the tank with fish or feed the Safestart bacteria with ammonia, to keep it alive. In 2 weeks' there is no bacteria left. Test the parameters often. Lots of WC in your future...

FoOGoO
Puffer Fry

Post by FoOGoO »

How do i feed the bacteria? I think i have what you call new tank syndrome. I keep my tank cool using fans so the water is evaporating very fast which means im constantly adding new water. Is this my problem? Im currently cycling a 75 gallon with built in overflow and wet/dry filtration system and chiller to get him out of the 30 gallon and solve my evaporation problem. How long should i let the 75 gallon cycle before adding him?