Feeding crayfish to my mappa

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
las
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Feeding crayfish to my mappa

Post by las »

Hi-

Im new here. I have a 3" mappa that I finally decided to buy. He is housed as the only fish in my 90 gallon tank. At the moment he is being fed clams on the half shell and freshwater mysis enriched with selcon on alterneting days. I have a few questions that I was hoping I could get a little help with. I appreciate any help very much!

Are freshwater mysis a good food or should I be looking for the marine mysid shrimp? Can I just feed him a sheet of toasted nori bought at the store or should I offer the raw version of the nori?

Are you guys feeding your puffers freshwater crayfish? Is this a quality food for them? if so where do I get them? Is there a risk of introducing any pathogen or parasites by offering live food like crayfish?

BTW- I realize this tank is way too small. I have more questions about that but lets just start with this right now. Thanks a million.
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Re: Feeding crayfish to my mappa

Post by puffykid »

Hi! and welcome to the forum I am glad you found us.

as to answering your questions I think these are the correct answers but if they aren't one of the experts will come along with the correct answer.

I think its perfectly fine to feed your puffer fresh water mysis as long as he will eat em.

crayfish are a good source for him, cutting off the claws will make it easier for him.

I dont think you should use nori bought from the store since its processed and not as healthy for him. So nori that is prepared for fish would be a better alternative.

There are always risks with introduction of live food but if you use a quarantine tank to house them in before you can check for problems before you give em to the puffer. I think someone on this forum has a contact with one of those self replicating crayfish.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

self replicating crayfish? You guys breed them for feedings?
puffykid
Former Staff Member

Post by puffykid »

some people do ya. When it comes to puffers its good to have diversity in the foods that you offer.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I think you nailed that puffykid. Just to highlight before you put live crays etc in quarantine them for at least 4 wks. Also i dont bother with claw removal, occasionally they fight back but never win lol.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
puffykid
Former Staff Member

Post by puffykid »

lols to that.

I just remember reading some posts about a claw getting stuck on a puffer face after the crayfish is already in the stomach, so it was more of a fair warning kind of deal.
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer

Post by trekenk »

las welcome to the Puffer Forum. Here is a great link in our libary on feeding, to give you more ideas.

library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I had anexperience recently with a red clawed crab. Had to pull the claw off myself lol. That may have been my post
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

I leave the claws on , My Porcupine bites them off first thing!
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Hey las

Do you have any pix or vids of your mappa we can see :)
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

puffykid wrote:Hi! and welcome to the forum I am glad you found us.

as to answering your questions I think these are the correct answers but if they aren't one of the experts will come along with the correct answer.

I think its perfectly fine to feed your puffer fresh water mysis as long as he will eat em.

crayfish are a good source for him, cutting off the claws will make it easier for him.

I dont think you should use nori bought from the store since its processed and not as healthy for him. So nori that is prepared for fish would be a better alternative.

There are always risks with introduction of live food but if you use a quarantine tank to house them in before you can check for problems before you give em to the puffer. I think someone on this forum has a contact with one of those self replicating crayfish.
Thanks puffykid-

So is there anywhere to get frozen crayfish or crawdads to feed? I cant think of a marine fish vendor who carries these. Is a snail culturing tank a worthwhile idea?
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

trekenk wrote:las welcome to the Puffer Forum. Here is a great link in our libary on feeding, to give you more ideas.

library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
Yeah I read this thanks.... Where do you guys find cockles? I honestly have never heard of them. My puffer is 3". Can he even eat these yet?
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

Arny wrote:Hey las

Do you have any pix or vids of your mappa we can see :)
Not yet Arny. I am working on it. I am working on getting a new iphone. Ill get pics up here soon.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

When feeding FW foods to my SW animals, I soak them in marine Vita-Chem & Selcon. You could try feeding the cray foods soaked in these things. Try not make FW foods a staple for your SW animals. What are your eventual upgrading plans for that monster?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

Pufferpunk wrote:When feeding FW foods to my SW animals, I soak them in marine Vita-Chem & Selcon. You could try feeding the cray foods soaked in these things. Try not make FW foods a staple for your SW animals. What are your eventual upgrading plans for that monster?
Thanks pufferpunk - Are you saying the freshwater mysis is a bad idea for a staple? The marine mysid is way smaller but I guess I could use them.

Im glad you asked the question about the tank size. Currently he is in the 90 gallon by himself. About 100 LBS of bali live rock in there. So I tried to make an intricate landscape with caves and such. I ve got a 6" DSB in the refugium with Gracilara algae lit on a reverse daylight photoperiod. My protein skimmer is a redline series rated for 150 gallons. I am running a vortech mp40 for flow. Im guessing the tank gets turned over about 35x an hour. Can you have too much flow? I see him fighting the current when the vortech kicks into its high gear stage. Im guessing a little excercise is good.

PH: 8.19 ORP: 331 ALK: 10 DKH SPG: 1.025 Temp: 78.4

After reading articles about stunting, I kinda was concerned if I am already limiting his growth. Ill be honest, he has to stay in this tank until bonus time at the end of the year. He is only 3". Do you think I am causing stunting in this situation?

I am also wondering if I should Ditch the DSB and go with just live rock and algae in the refugium. Do you think a Nutrient sink scenario could develop with a remote DSB contained in a tank with such a messy fish?