Feeding crayfish to my mappa

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
las
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Re: Feeding crayfish to my mappa

Post by las »

Pufferpunk wrote:What is your reasoning for ozone? Very dangerous to use.
ozone isnt very dangerous if you use it normally. Its actually an extremely helpful tool.
blackghostknife
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by blackghostknife »

u should post some pics of this puffr
The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang the best. Use the talents you possess.

Pufferpunk's biggest fan!!!
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

As soon as i get the new iphone i will. I think ill be able to post some videos too but im not a computer guy so dont hold your breath.
sevenyearnight

Post by sevenyearnight »

las wrote:
sevenyearnight wrote:You shouldn't need a wet and dry, but I have no personal experience operating one. I heard something about nitrate spikes, and decided against it. So they may be great, it's just not what I've heard.

I might be wrong, but my personal guide, which applies to most not-so-flexible active fish, is at least 4-5X the adult max length of the fish for the length of the tank, and at least 2x the length of the fish for the width.
Yeah, i know about wetdry and nitrates. Im just wondering if there willbe enough filtration on the tank. Im also woried about the deep sand bed getting clogged with detritus. Would a bare bottom sump with LR and algae be smarter?
From what I understand, it's not better to go bare bottom (that sounds funny) but I think a deep sand bed needs time to establish its pod/bugs population. I remember RTR saying something about starting with a shallow bed, and adding more sand over time. He'd be the person to answer this, I have no experience with sumps.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I would not attempt a DSB in a puffer tank. They will move the sand around too much, looking for food. DSBs should not be disturbed. If you want to do this, you can try a remote DSB.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

Pufferpunk wrote:I would not attempt a DSB in a puffer tank. They will move the sand around too much, looking for food. DSBs should not be disturbed. If you want to do this, you can try a remote DSB.
It is in the sump. I wouldnt put it in the display. To be honest, he hasnt messed with the substrate at all yet.
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

So, everything has been going well. Im now thinking about adding other fish to the tank. Does a mappa really have to be kept alone ? I have seen them many times in fish only tanks. They seem quite docile. I want a couple of large angels, a butterfly and a tang.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

How large is the tank? He's totally alone in there?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

Hi PP-

Got him in a 210. Found a guy on craigs list selling his tank. Since i will be moving in the next year or two I dont see a reason to get a brand new 400 gallon penninsula tank that ive been wanting. He has grown to about 4 in but hes also grown wider too.

I would like to have the other large fish I have mentioned. Since I will have a very large tank in the future, is it ok to have other fish with the mappa? Why do people say mappas should be kept alone?

The fish I was thinking of adding to the 400 gall are:

Scribbled Angel
Blue line angel
Dussumieri tang
Mitratus or semilavartus butterfly
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

Also, I have read that puffers usually have worms. I have not treated him for anything. Should I deworm him even if he looks healthy?

Also, he seem to bite up the live rock a lot. They are always marked up. I'm guessing he's trying to get at some algae. He likes to eat the sand too sometimes. Is that normal? What's the purpose of this?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You say he hasn't grown much. Couldn't hurt to treat. I'd think that fella would be growing a lot! I'd wait to get any more fish, until you've upgraded.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You say he hasn't grown much. Couldn't hurt to treat. I'd think that fella would be growing a lot! I'd wait to get any more fish until you've upgraded.

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Look around for a good secondhand tank. You can never upgrade too early and by too much. It's all too easy to upgrade too late
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

Pufferpunk wrote:You say he hasn't grown much. Couldn't hurt to treat. I'd think that fella would be growing a lot! I'd wait to get any more fish until you've upgraded.
What would i use to deworm? is there a link somewhere i could read?
las
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by las »

bertie 83 wrote:Look around for a good secondhand tank. You can never upgrade too early and by too much. It's all too easy to upgrade too late
I just did that... He's a 4 inch puffer in 210 gal by himself.... and he looks very healthy. Have also been told by other mappa puffer owners that they do not grow that fast.