Stars and stripes puffer food

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
CobrajetMach1
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Stars and stripes puffer food

Post by CobrajetMach1 »

Hello,
I have acquired a stars and stripes puffer and was wondering what foods are recommended.
I've read that snails are good and that frozen raw shrimp is good. Now here's the question, is any canned
food suitable? For example I was in the supermarket the other day and saw a can of oysters, the ingredients listed says:
oysters, water, and salt. Wouldn't that be ok then? What's some good stuff to get for them to wear their teeth down?

My tank is the RSM 250, the other tenants in there are 2 ocellaris clowns, BTA , watchman goby, neon dotty back and
a somewhat short-handed clean up crew after Cartman ( that's the puffer) arrived.

Thanks for your help.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: Stars and stripes puffer food

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Welcome to the forum!

The added salt in the oysters wouldn't be good for them. Also, if they're cooked, that would be bad.

Here's some articles on feeding puffers:
library/category/feeding/

And a S&S profile:
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Marine/A_Hispidus/
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
CobrajetMach1
Puffer Fry

Post by CobrajetMach1 »

Wow great info, thank you!
CobrajetMach1
Puffer Fry

Post by CobrajetMach1 »

Here's a couple pictures I took of him, he's so cool.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

He sure likes his cave!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Stars & stripes

Post by jdak »

I've only heard negative things about canned meat. Phosphates is a preservative they use and other things too. I have a S&S too and am constantly looking for something new to feed. Right now i have raw mussels, cooked clams, raw shrimp, and cooked crab. Nothing i bought from my LFS would he eat. Not even krill. He only eats from the seafood department from the market. My recent discovery was the crab. They can suck the meat right out of the crab leg like a spaghetti noodle. Make sure with all these shelled food that you let him work to open them himself so he can keep his teeth nice and not overgrown. I like to see how your coral is doing after a while because hard coral are in their diet. Is that a LPS candycane? That might be a snack...
Check out my puffer, video, and tanks @ jdak.net.
46g reef
150g FO
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Try to feed raw whenever possible.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

jdak
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by jdak »

Why is cooked bad? I understand it breaks down some of the proteins. I admit i only use cooked clams because i am cheap and get them free. A butcher told me raw crab isn't available just like raw lobster isn't. He said only live or steamed is approved due to spoiling. Most stores are equipped with lobster tanks but not crab. Was i told wrong on this?
46g reef
150g FO
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

Gordon food service carrys raw shrimp, clams, lobster, crab etc. All raw and cheap. But it comes in bulk. The butcher is full of ..... I am a chef I used to always order raw everything and keep it frozen till flash steamed or boiled to serve. I wouldn't even waste my money on longer thou. It too exspensive for fish food
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by jdak »

SammyDee wrote:Gordon food service carrys raw shrimp, clams, lobster, crab etc. All raw and cheap. But it comes in bulk. The butcher is full of ..... I am a chef I used to always order raw everything and keep it frozen till flash steamed or boiled to serve. I wouldn't even waste my money on lobster thou. It too exspensive for fish food. Cooked shellfish has hardly any nutrtional value same as any other cooked foods like red meat and veggies.
I am in the food industry too. I called Gordons and Dixon seafood today. They both told me their is a ban on raw lobster and crab. It spoils in about a day and also the raw meat is like a raw egg white. It needs to be steamed to be solid. If a crab leg is pink, it's been steamed even know they call it "fresh". Your choices are either live or steamed. Can't get it dead and raw. Anyways, their is talk about banning raw oysters and mussels too. I also bought some raw oysters, scallops, squid, and clams.
Last edited by jdak on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
46g reef
150g FO
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

From Dadof4: "Actually cooking denatures (chemically changes) the protein structures and can make it very difficult to digest. Fish can't cook their food (that whole fire/heat under water thing..) and shouldn't be given cooked foods. Sometimes tiny amounts are OK but for a staple it's not good. Think about humans, we evolved to eat cooked food, imagine what would happen if you ate a belly full of raw beef...your body wouldn't be used to it and, even though it wouldn't kill you, you wouldn't feel too well for a few days. A few good examples of denaturing protein is cooking eggs ans pickling meats. Egg whites (mainly consisting of the protein albumin) start off as clear and as heat is applied the protein structure changes making the "whites" opaque. Pickling meats has the same result, you expose the proteins to acids (vinegar) and the protein structure changes visibly (turns whitish)."

jdak
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by jdak »

Sry about my edits. Got logged out and my text disappeared.

Maybe i could have them knock one in the head to kill it but i think boiling or steaming is how they kill them anyway. I wouldn't know. I don't eat seafood nor do i cook it often.
46g reef
150g FO
L!$A
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Fahaka - Nala
Congo - Baloo
Arrowhead - Yzma

R.I.P
Kaleeko - Mbu Puffer
Milly - Fangs Puffer
Location (country): CANADA

Post by L!$A »

I'm not sure if you have any TNT markets in the US but they carry a lot of raw seafood.
I would assume that there isn't or someone would have mentioned it!

Nice pics by the way!! :D
CobrajetMach1
Puffer Fry

Post by CobrajetMach1 »

Well so far my puffer likes freeze dried krill and frozen raw shrimp. I soaked the shrimp in some tank water and tied it on some fishing line and let the current slap it around a bit so it looked alive and he couldn't resist. Everything else in the tank got fed at the same time because when the puffer tears into it, pieces are flying! I'm going to try some ramshorn snails this weekend and see how he likes those.

What's the max specific gravity that the Stars and stripes puffer should be kept in? I drip acclimated him for 3 hours when I got him. My SG is 1.025 (Refractometer). He seems happy.
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

Maybe try a gourmet market like niño salvaggios or whole foods or just a fancy gourmet fish market. We used to order raw oysters, mussels, clams, crab and lobster. You may be right on the ban thou. It's been a year since ordering anything like that. Do you have to feed crab and lobster. Why not save money n just buy the other raw shell fish you can get. Even meijer by me sells live lobster but they're huge. Prolly too big for a puffer. I kno for a fact Vince and joes gourmet market gets all the stuff and its all packed on ice. Don't kno if you have any of those stores by ya but good luck. Idk anything about what sg they prefer I've never had any puffs beside green spotted puffer so idk. Someone will till ya here thou. If he seems happy then I'd leave it. I do kno my lfs keeps all marine fish at or between 1.020 to 1.023 tops. Even there corals too. I thought it be higher for corals but theirs seem well.
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN