My New MBU puffer

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
discus70
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

My New MBU puffer

Post by discus70 »

Im very new to this forum and with keeping puffers. currently I own a Hatchery in Chicago where we breed and import Discus for the hobbyist and pet stores. Ever since I laid eyes on these giant beauties I have wanted one. He/She is 6-8" and I purchased him from a wholesaler thats deals with all sorts of aquatic life. I brought him home and put him in a quarantine 40 gallon tank to treat for parasites and to observe for any medical issues that might come up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N3v4cJ ... eRnTDEQk6w

Finished his quarantine with no issues he was moved to a 300 gallon tank for some growing he will eventually move into a 600 gallon wide tank when he outgrows the 300.

He's eating pretty good and this is where my question is.
Im currently feeding him clams on a half shell, mussels, whole cooked prawns and frozen crayfish.
should I be feeding him other foods or does that sound about right?

300-78 degrees-100 gallon sump with K1 media
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: My New MBU puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

That sounds about right. Do you sell discus at the cichlid swap?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
discus70
Puffer Fry

Post by discus70 »

Yes I sell them at the swap and all over the United States. The Company is called Chicago Discus
discus70
Puffer Fry

Post by discus70 »

Yes that's me. I think I have been over feeding him after talking to another MBU owner I should only feed once a day. It's been twice a day and a bit to much so I'm told. It's just been day two on the three hundred so I think the new environment and over feeding has caused him to sit still at the bottom with with clamped fins. I'm told that this is normal behavior for MBUs that have been over fed but I have never had a puffer so I'm not really sure. He seems fine he just looks around with his crazy eyes LOL and once in a while moves around. I didn't feed him today to see if maybe that will perk him up.

Is this behavior that I'm describing normal for the new surroundings or should I be alarmed?
How active are MBUs and what is there normal behavior?
My water Temperature is at 78 degrees is that ok or should it be lower?
Is it normal for them to have like stress bars? Sorry it's the only way I can describe it....
Any help would be greatly appreciated..........Josie
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Hey josie. It can take a week or so for them to settle in. Once he is he'll be all over the tank exploring. If they've eatten a lot they will sit on the sand and digest their food (as you've already noticed).
discus70
Puffer Fry

Post by discus70 »

Arny thank you so much, I'm just paranoid it's my first one.....thanks for the reply.....Josie
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Be sure to skip 1 day/week for fasting.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
discus70
Puffer Fry

Post by discus70 »

You guys are right thank you so much. I skipped a feeding yesterday and guess who's all around the aquarium exploring.......You guys are the best thank you so much for your kind advice....Josie