Fahaka questions

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
5 GSPs
Location (country): South Leicestershire
England

Re: Fahaka questions

Post by TrevorA »

Now the questions really start :)

I decided against the rescue ones as the owner was very unresponsive and I just didn't feel comfortable with the situation, and getting 2 when I really only want one.

So today I have got a 350 litre temporary tank, ordered a custom build 4'high*3'wide*2' deep tank and collected a Fahaka after about 60 phone calls spiralling out from my home, eventually finding one about 50 miles away.

So I am now the very happy owner of a 8-9cm, 3" baby Fahaka.

If I'm honest he seems very skinny, compared to my GSPs anyway, and i was told he wouldn't eat off the floor and only ate 2 small ghost shrimp a day (about 1/2-3/4" long) and he had already eaten for the day.

But after getting him all settled and taking abut an hour to introduce him to his temporary home I gave him 1/2 cube of frozen bloodworm, which he dived headfirst in to, and continued to eat off the floor, then I also put 4 ghost shrimps in with him, 2 of those have gone already. My plan was to clear the leftover food from the bottom of the tank in about 3 hours when I go to bed, would that be right?

Here a a couple of pictures, not very good, I would like an opinion on his apparent skinniness and how much he should eat at this size. These pictures were taken very soon after his bloodworm and shrimp supper. Again apologies for the awful pictures.

Also, should I worm him, and my GSPs I guess, by default or wait for definite signs it is needed.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Congrats! I agree--he's thin. If he's only been fed ghost shrimp for a while, he's staving. GS are only as good as what they are gut-loaded with. Try feeding them algae wafers, before offering them to the puffer, so he get's his veggies. I'd forget about frozen bloodworms & go straight for larger foods, like earthworms, people shrimp, clams, mussels, etc. Soak in Vita-chem.

For more ideas: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

OK, I will go for that, I tried an earthworm about 10 mins ago but think he's full for now so I removed it and the left over bloodworms.

What about the de-worming, or just assume he's good?

Thank you.
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, USA

Post by nzac »

I always treat every new fish in my house for internal parasites, from other hobbiests, fish shops, or importers... no exceptions. for me it is simple piece of mind knowing that stuff I can't see can hurt them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't treat unless there's signs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

Pufferpunk wrote:I don't treat unless there's signs.
Ok that's fine. I'll read all about the signs, then probably convince myself he's got every disease under the sun, lol.

Just want him in a bigger tank, eating normally and looking lively and I'll start to relax:)
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

I gave him 3 small worms yesterday and he ate them all, tried him with a bigger one first but he seemed nervous of it.

Then last night I tried him with a crayfish tail and a prawn, not interested. Crayfish tail and prawn this morning and the prawn got looked at and ignored but a little nibble of the crayfish, but not really much, tried another crayfish soaked in garlic, no interest. Went to the bait shop and bought the smallest worms they had and pout one in and he dived on it, definitely likes the movement as he backed off until it wriggled then bit off and ate the wriggling part. This is a pic of him eating it, he ate about 2/3 to 3/4 of it then left it and went back behind his plant looking at me so I've cleaned up assuming he's full, by the way, he'd already eaten about 1/2" of this worm when I got the pic.

Is that about the right amount for a fish of his size? He doesn't look full like the GSPs do, but he's much more 'alive' today, having a look about and looks generally healthier. His colour is also noticeably better.

Any comments or advice please?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

For the 1st couple of weeks feed him every day, until he looks more filled in. Then skip to every other day. By big fella eats 2x/week.

TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

He's eating 3 worms a day at the moment, eats the lot except about 1cm round the 'saddle' consistent every time :)

But he will not touch anything else, if I put a crayfish tail or prawn in there, he goes to look then comes back to the glass to do more wormdance until I give in. I've tried feeding him the crayfish first, coated in garlic, left it for 2 hours, he will not give in.

Any other ideas,

Also what size do I need to start ensuring he gets some shelled food, I've put a few small snails in there, but he seems quite happy watching them make their trails through the sand and then demanding worms.

I've now moved him into his interim tank, 100 gallon, and he looks a little lost, but seems happy, his 4th move in 2 weeks, but he seems to settle almost immediately, especially if there are worms involved.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Try live food: small crays, fiddler crabs, gut-loaded ghost shrimp. Are you wiggling dead foods in front of him? Might have to bounce it off a thread.

TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

Pufferpunk wrote:Try live food: small crays, fiddler crabs, gut-loaded ghost shrimp. Are you wiggling dead foods in front of him? Might have to bounce it off a thread.
I've tried suspending it on thread, but he just appears a little scared of it. I'll try and find some live Crays but I've also got some long forceps so I'll get wiggling, even with the worms he waits until their wriggling before eating, and even plays with them when he's full like a cat does, biting them just to get them to wriggle, so that might just work.
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

I still can't get him off anything but worms:)

But I think he's looking more healthy and active.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

At this point just get him fattened up, then worry about switching foods.

TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

Pufferpunk wrote:At this point just get him fattened up, then worry about switching foods.
Sounds a good plan, how far off is he do you think from a healthy weight for his size?
CubaFugu
Puffer Fry
Location (country): indonesia

Post by CubaFugu »

Hi all... Im kind new with puffer.. so i have a question... 4 days ago i just bought 3 baby fahaka... what the best food for them? can they live in one tank??? and can i use a sea sand?? thanks guys