lazy fahaka

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
puffer78
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Uk

lazy fahaka

Post by puffer78 »

Hiya, i'm new to the forum and a fairly new fahaka owner..... (around 3-4 months) my question is about activity levels....He is around 8in long and in a 850lt 7ft tank sand substrate, plenty of cover in the form of plants and bogwood. ....He feeds fine and looks in very good health! But he just never moves really apart from getting his food.....He spends a good 70% of his time buried and the other 25% just kind of skulking around the bottom....The other 5% is feeding...water temp is 80f....I have surface cover as well to help him feel secure.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: lazy fahaka

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sometimes Filbert greets me at the glass, other times I have to look for a while to find him & he's about 12"! Here's how he spends a majority of his day:

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
puffer78
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Uk

Post by puffer78 »

So its a fahaka thing then? All my previous research had me expecting a fairly active and fun to keep puffer who would pretty much always be pleased to see you lol.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Primarily active when they are hungry IME. Also in my experience fully grown males are more active than females, but that is based only on two males and one female (all individually housed, but in sight of at least one other Fahaka tank.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Tripp
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Tripp »

How much current do you have in the tank?
Do you make him work for his food? Or do you just toss it in front of him?
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

pufferghoti fitted our 2 fahaka tanks with powerheads creating crosscurrents which our 2 love to play in for 10-15 mins at a time before they get bored .

One is far more active than the other spending at least twice as much time active than the other. We have had them for around a year now and are approx 6 inches. Both are very sociable and will swim around if I'm nearby. The appearence of something resembling the dinner platter results in a near frenzy of activity .

Nearly all of my puffers will come to the glass to see me, pufferghoti less so and the fry are more or less ignored unless they activly interact with thier puffer overlords. The fahakas, mbu, immaculate , porky and stars and stripes press thier faces to the tank glass in order to "smile" at me.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Can they see each other?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers

Pufferpunk wrote:Can they see each other?
My puffers?? no, most of the tanks are well seperarted. The fahakas are on different stories of the house. The only tanks in close proxinity are the SAPs and hump backs which are seperated by around a foot. The SAPs are only intereasted in the humpbacks when I feed those first.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Master of Puffers wrote:
My puffers?? no, most of the tanks are well seperarted. The fahakas are on different stories of the house. The only tanks in close proxinity are the SAPs and hump backs which are seperated by around a foot. The SAPs are only intereasted in the humpbacks when I feed those first.
Hey master, how many tanks do you have?
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers

Arny wrote:
Master of Puffers wrote:
Hey master, how many tanks do you have?
Aound 16 tanks up and running plus the reef and frag tanks. I've got an 8ftx 4 ft x 4ft under construction and another 8 or so in various stages of cycling. My current largest tanks are 6x2x2..
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

[/quote]around 16 tanks up and running plus the reef and frag tanks. I've got an 8ftx 4 ft x 4ft under construction and another 8 or so in various stages of cycling. My current largest tanks are 6x2x2..[quote]
Wow your electric bill must be huge :) what's going in the 8x4x4?
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers

Arny wrote:
around 16 tanks up and running plus the reef and frag tanks. I've got an 8ftx 4 ft x 4ft under construction and another 8 or so in various stages of cycling. My current largest tanks are 6x2x2..[/quote]
Wow your electric bill must be huge :) what's going in the 8x4x4?[/quote]

HIgher than I'd like for sure but pufferghoti tells me onc we get LEDs on the tanks that should reduce the cost. Mind you they keep the basement war...

Mbu is going into the 8 ft once it's finished. I'm waiting for the ground to dry so my contractor can come and cast a new pad for that areas of the basement and fisish the tank for me.
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Master of Puffers wrote:
Arny wrote:
around 16 tanks up and running plus the reef and frag tanks. I've got an 8ftx 4 ft x 4ft under construction and another 8 or so in various stages of cycling. My current largest tanks are 6x2x2..
Wow your electric bill must be huge :) what's going in the 8x4x4?[/quote]

HIgher than I'd like for sure but pufferghoti tells me onc we get LEDs on the tanks that should reduce the cost. Mind you they keep the basement war...

Mbu is going into the 8 ft once it's finished. I'm waiting for the ground to dry so my contractor can come and cast a new pad for that areas of the basement and fisish the tank for me.[/quote]
Oh cool, keep us updated on the mbu tank :)
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

We do not talk about utility bills around here. Between the power and water it better to not think about them. At least I have no large tanks active and only one tank room operating ATM.
Where's the fish? - Neptune