Fahaka set up

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
LilPuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Fahaka set up

Post by LilPuff »

Hello,

I am currently cycling a 45 gal tank for a puffer/puffers (was thinking of a single GSP)
I'm already planning my next tank, and I'm going to go bigger (about 5ft x 2 x 2 125gal). However, when I was thinking of what to put in the second tank, all I could think that I would really want is a fahaka. Which got me thinking, could I get a small fahaka and grow it on in my 45gal 3.5 ft tank then transfer it to the 5ft then use the small tank for something different?
If I was going to do that how quickly do you think I'd need to set up the second tank? Obviously I don't want to risk stunting the fahaka. I think I would be transferring in about 6 months.

Just throwing ideas around because I don't want to get a smaller species and then wish I'd gone for a bigger one in the first place, and I know hubby won't let me have two tanks with one puffer in each (he just doesn't get it!).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka set up

Post by Pufferpunk »

I started my fahaka in a 15g (<1"), then moved him up to a 29, 50, 55 & lastly his 125g. BUT I have all those tanks here in my basement, along with all the necessary filtration for them all. All too often I have seen folks with the best of intentions to upgrade their monster fish, then life happens & it never happens... I suggest sticking with what you can house right now.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilPuff
Puffer Fry

Post by LilPuff »

Thanks. I was thinking that maybe I'll just get something different in the small tank and not get a puffer at all until I can house a fahaka. I think it might be worth waiting until I can get a big tank and a big puffer together even if it's not for a few months :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Filbert says, "I'm worth waiting for!!!"

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilPuff
Puffer Fry

Post by LilPuff »

Haha, thanks for the good advice and the big smile Filbert! :D
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

A huge +1 to Pufferpunk's comments in this thread.

I used to "move up" in tank sizes as required, and like PP, I do have an absurd stockpile of tanks. However, I finally realized that I could save myself lots of work if I introduced new fish into a quarantine tank suitable for one to (rarely) three month's housing and then moving the fish into its permanent home directly from QT.. All of a sudden, my fish almost all grow to full adult wild size. Using only QT and permanent homes is not only better for the fish, it is easier for me and my friends - moving large fish is traumatic for all concerned...

FWIW, HTH.
Where's the fish? - Neptune