hey just joined the forum and have a few qusetions

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
fahaka_b
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ontario canada

hey just joined the forum and have a few qusetions

Post by fahaka_b »

Hey everyone my names brett I have had my baby fahaka for around a month now and he has grown around an inch as expected he is currently in a 3'×2'×2' tank and is now around 3"-3.5" in size tank runs on two marine land filters one eclips two hood doing 200 gph and a marine land h.o.b that does 150 gph and a 250 w heater currently have a 180 gallon tank being delivered tomorrow used (needs re-sealed) and I will be building a wet dry stack (not sure on media) and have been considering a moving bed filter with k1 media ( please give in put) and wondering around how large he should be when moved he is and will always be completly alone unless I try a divided tank with second fahaka and see how much they go for each other any input would be greatly appreciated thanks
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: hey just joined the forum and have a few qusetions

Post by RTR »

Not everyone will agree, but I very strongly suggest upgrading to the permanent home tank ASAP. With good care Fahakas are very fast-growing fish. The ~1"/month is just about standard for these fish. Any slowdown in growth can result in a stunted fish. The 180 will be perfect for the fish for its whole life, so once you have resealed (and tested) the tank, move the fish over there. Then it will be set for life (with proper upkeep).

Different filer types require different flow rates for effective filtration. Hang-on-the-back (HOB) filters require higher flow rates than some other types, but are very easy upkeep due to ready accessibility to the media. The ease of upkeep justifies the high flow rates. Canister filters require lower flow rates as good brands or models are more efficient, but access to the media for rinsing is significantly more work for the hobbyist. It comes down to a trade-off and is in the end a personal choice. Particle filtration is very important to puffers, as they are very messy eaters. Capture and removal from the system (by rinsing mechanical media frequently, preferably weekly at least) strong improves long-term water quality. Biological media (a.k.a. bio-media) is best protected by having frequently rinsed mechanical (particle capturing) media just upstream of the bio-media. Specialized (chemical) media is not often used with large puffers as its cost is greater than its value. Water changes can do the same job more cheaply.

I am unfamiliar with k 1 media so cannot comment there.

Easily maintained filtration and large-scale water changes (~50 weekly) for optimum growth and lifespan for puffers is not very difficult. The choice of equipment is very much personal choice. You want equipment you will not mind maintaining (which is a highly personal choice) and which will become an easy habit for you rather than a frustrating chore.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
fahaka_b
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ontario canada

Re: hey just joined the forum and have a few qusetions

Post by fahaka_b »

Hey thanks yeah I'm very exited to now have my 180 just got delivered a half hour ago and it actually dint end up needing re sealed it just needs new trim but am going to be building wooden stand using urajoeys design so will have a wooden trim for support anyway yeah I think I'm going to go with a wet dry sump with a small chem filter section like moving bed or fefugium