fahaka puffer biotope with tankmates project

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Canary
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Tacoma, WA; United States of America

fahaka puffer biotope with tankmates project

Post by Canary »

I'd like to try a biotope for a fahaka puffer fish one day in a large tank 180 gallon +.

If anyone knows what fish are native to the fahaka puffers natural environment? Are the are any african cichlids that dwell in the fahakas homeland? I wonder if any of the mbuna type or rock dwelling species could co exist in a large fahaka tank. id imagine if enough rocks and caves for a shoal of african cichlids was provided they could co exist with a large fahaka.

Any input is appreciated.
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Re: fahaka puffer biotope with tankmates project

Post by defool89 »

even if we narrowed down which fish a fahaka most associated itself with in the wild by distance and times, any fish is liable to get bitten from a fahaka come the right time. the fahaka will try and bite. any bite could be an instant death or an eventual death as a consequence of a bite from the teeth like beak it uses for defense. offense, curiosity and im sure other reasons. Although, I did find somewhat success with a rainbow shark. the rainbows tend to remain hidden, and scavange for food like scraps from a crawfish. they are really fast and seem to be aware of the puffers threat. if the rainbow is having an off day he may be half eaten in one nip.
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Even with a mega-sized tank & a ton of hiding places, if the fahaka is a killer, nothing will stop it from eating it's tankmates.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Canary
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Tacoma, WA; United States of America

Post by Canary »

I think I may try a SAP biotope and wait until I want to dedicate a very large tank for a solo fahaka. Thanks for the replies. I understand that the fahakas can pretty much pick off any tankmate as they will be at the top of the food chain.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Saps don't work in a community tank trust me. You will be putting them through the stress of dentistry monthly. Not good for fish or you
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly