Preparing the new tank and transferring my Fahaka

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Fahaka

Also kept:
2 x South American Puffers (SAP)
Location (country): Norway

Preparing the new tank and transferring my Fahaka

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and have questions related to how to prepare my new tank and transfer my Fahaka into it. I I have listed the necessary background information below and categorized the questions. I have also attached pics of both tanks. Any comment is appreciated in this regard. I will happily share my experiences of trial and error as well!

Parameters and background data:

Ph: 7 or so
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
Temperature: 26 celsius

Same parameters for old tank (55 gallon) and the new tank (125 gallon)

Old Tank: 55 gallon, 25 inches long x 25 inches wide x 25 inches high (65x65x65 in cm), Penn Plex Cube
New tank: 125 gallon, 52 inches long x 24 inches wide x 24 inches high (131 x 61 x 61 in cm), It’s an Eheim MP Scubaline with Eheim Pro 3 XL 2080 External Canister Filter (I struggled to find wide enough tanks and this was the best option given my apartment size)

Fahaka size: 15 cm or so, but growing extremely fast (he was perhaps 6 cm in November when I got him)

1) Water change
• I have been changing about 40% of the water in my 55 gallon tank twice a week using aged water from a 40 gallon water container.
• This practice of carrying buckets and storing water is NOT considered sustainable for my 125 gallon tank. Hence, I got myself a tube system (JBL Aqua in-out water change) , which allows me to refill/ siphon out water from my tank directly without the need of carrying buckets
• QUESTION: Is it safe to refill with tap water by first adding dechlorinator (using JBL’s Biopol) proportional to the amount of water taken out? Or should I add enough to dechlorinize the entire tank to be on the safe side? I know it shouldn’t hurt the fish by doing so, but it’s quite expensive in the long term if I change 50% of the water on a weekly basis.
2) Having the right aquarium equipment and the right protection for it:
• I am currently using 2 Eheim heaters. my Indian Claw Shrimps Macrobrachium assamensis will be using these as hiding spots during the hunt and I am afraid my Fahaka will hurt injure himself. How to prevent that from happening? I don’t find any equipment in any of the stores I’ve been to…and I am worried about the material used for DYI solutions
• I have 2 intake hoses on both sides of the aquarium connected to my external canister filter, EHEIM Professionel 3 XL (6.6 gallons canister volume, 450 gallons per hour). Should I worry about my fahaka chewing on the intake hoses or getting stuck?
• I also have one internal filter from my previous aquarium, Ehiem Biopower 200 internal filter (40-130 gallons per hour or 150 - 480 l/h, volume 0.09 gallons or 0.32 l). It’s a bit bulky in there so would I be doing well without it? Or should I add a more lean yet more powerful one dimensioned for a bigger tank?
• I have 1 air stone and tube connect to my pump for increased aeriation
• 2 Questions related to this point: a) Am I set with respect to having sufficient filtration and aeriation?, b) any clever ideas on how to protect my equipment or stuff I can buy online?
3) Stout net or something to protect my hands with
• I haven’t had any issues during maintenance with my Fahaka. For now, he recognizes when I’m in feeding mode and when I am fixing things, and he shows no aggression unless I am approaching him with the feeding stick
• Question: a) should I worry about protecting my hands during maintenance, and b) and if so what is the most practical solution out there? I don’t really envision what a stout net is and where to get one
4) Transferring my Fahaka from my old to my new tank (located in the same apartment)
• I am planning to use a small bucket with a lid for transferring my fahaka (he jumps if stressed out). Hopefully I am able to steer him into it without taking him out of the aquarium with my net.
• Then, I have seen recommendations about using the drip method, but I was hoping it would be ok to simply a) place the bucket with my fahaka into the new tank, b) introduce the new tank water into the bucket gradually for about 40 minutes or so untill the old water is diluted. I am not afraid of the water quality since it’s coming from the same source..just gotta make sure the temperature is the same
• Question: would this approach suffice?
5) Decoration material
• I wanted to shape a big plastic bowl into a cave for my Fahaka (covering it with silicon and sand to merge it into the sandy landscape). The ones in the pet stores are not big enough..and I don’t want to use stones for DYI decorations as I don’t want to risk crushing my aquarium glass with heavy items
• Question: Nobody seems to know what the material is made of and I am really unsure about putting any household products into my tank in case the material starts emitting bad stuff affecting the water quality. Do you know whether I can buy material online where I know it’s safe for my tank? Or do you know what I should ask for where?
6) Live feeder crabs
• Summer is coming up in Norway and I live close to the coastline with abundant access to crabs of all sizes.
• Questions: is it safe to feed my Fahaka with self caught crabs as long as I make sure I don’t see any external parasites or symptoms of infection?

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Preparing the new tank and transferring my Fahaka

Post by bertie 83 »

You need to add enough for the tank. The filters should be sufficient, do they have intake strainers? Keep an eye on him when your hands are in the tank, mine goes for blood but others don't . Do not under any circumstances expose him to air, it can be fatal. Use patience and the bucket. Plastics are generally safe , I have not found one that isn't. As long as you quarantine the crabs or better still freeze them they should be safe. Welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, it is very important that when you transfer him, do it inside a container, not a net.

I would move all the substrate over to the new tank, along with the decor & filters. That will instantly cycle the tank. Unless you aren't keen on those things (substrate/decor) in the new tank. Just moving the filtration over, should support the bioload, since there will be >2x the dilution. You'd be better off to use Prime for dechlorination.

I haven't carried a bucket in 25 years... ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

Thanks for your comments!
1) Ok I will be using dechlorinator for the entire tank even though I am replacing 50% of the water
2) I will not bother with a stout net unless his behavior is changing. Have to keep an eye on him always during maintenance
3) I will definitely not expose him to air while transferring him
4) Ok, I will trust the plastics for decoration. I will go for either white or preferably clear color to be on the safe side. Looking forward to make a spacious house to swim through..hopefully the sand will stick the aquarium silicone
5) I will be using my other thanks for the quarantine. I feel a bit sorry for him not being able to hunt down prey like he would in the wild. He gets so excited when being able to chase down Indian Claw Shrimps and once a big claw was stuck in his upper lip (that´s the spirit). So I will dedicate 2 tanks for live shellfish, and I will not feed him with crabs directly from the sea. I also think it¨s healthy for him to get some live food (deal with B vitamin thiamese issues etc.)
6) In response to Pufferpunk´s comment about transferring the old gravel, I have already done so but transferred the ceramic media/ gravel from another tank. Then, I added sand and decorations gradually. I have also reused old ceramic media for my external canister filter as well as old sponge filter for my internal filter. The parameters are good after 2 months of housing catfish, 2 SAP puffers and 6 neon tetras. All handed over to happy new owners....my Fahaka started giving me the looks "why are you wasting your time on other fish when I am here wiggling my fins in front of you"..I figure I won´t have time for caring for more than 1 Fahaka and live food
7) I will not be able to move my external canister from my 55 gallon as it is quite big (dimensioned for 700 litre tanks). If the filter were internal I would do so. I am considering buying a more powerful internal filter and reusing some of the old filter media
8) The pet shops in Norway do not sell Prime. Everyone recommends using it though... I guess it would be more expensive to get Prime to Norway with shipping and all. I will ask my favorite pet store if he can order 5 liters from his regular wholesellers...it would be more economical to use Prime than JBLBiopol since it is more concentrated..JBL becomes really expensive in the long term
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Terracotta is a favourite. Chimney tops and plantpots etc
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

So the only old media you will be moving over is the substrate?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

And the cannister contents it seems.
Are you using test strips?
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Scrap buying another internal filter get another canister instead. I hate internal filters with a passion, I think they are a bit poo
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I would keep one canister & add 2 Aquaclear 110s.

bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Oh and cut back a little on the feeding. A little overweight
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

Thanks again for responding. I appreciate it a lot!

1) Terracotta: not sure what you mean. I know about the soldiers and I assume you are referring to clay based sculptures from that era or something. With respect to chimney tops I assume you are referring to the same thing, clay based pots that can be used as caves and decorations..I will look into it. So clay is safe?
2) no. It´s not only the substrate being transferred.

I rather give you the full picture of what I did. That way it´s easier for you to give feedback.

a) 2 months ago I transferred all the ceramic media/ gravel from an old 15 gallon tank (I wanted to get rid of) into the 125 gallon tank. I also added my internal filter Eheim biopower 200 from the same tank
b) I filled the new tank with old water from my scrapped tank, all the decorations, plants and so on. Then I added enough water to fill up only 50% of the tank to boost the flow of bacteria into my filter...a week later I added my powerful Eheim Pro 3 XL 2080 and I filled one of its 3 baskets with lots of old ceramic media to get it going.
c) 2 weeks later I added more water (as I assumed the boost of beneficial bacteria would be fine). A couple of days later I added new sand, and I put the old gravel/ ceramic media into a bag (a net) for keeping things tidy
d) A week ago..basically two months after operation, I took out the bag containing the ceramic media...I just hate the look of the ceramic media..they´re like small corals..not smooth..very much in the way..it´s perfect for external canisters, but it just looks bad in an aquarium....I assumed the flow of beneficial bacteria was sufficient by now so I removed the bag
e) my next step is to move some of the gravel, stones and driftwood from my 55 gallon tank (where Freddy lives) into my 125 gallon tank. Hence, I am not only transferring the substrate
pls give me feedback on my approach

3) I am not sure I understand the comment "and the cannister contents it seems"...the canister contains the exact same material as instructed by Eheim for this type of filter. I filled up the basket according to the instructions http://www.eheim.com/products/detail/Pr ... l-3-Thermo with the exception I filled up one of the baskets about 70% of old ceramic media (quite a lot actually since the canister is huge)...the other one I mixed probably 20%

4) hhhmm not using test strips...just test kits done now and then. What do u recommend?

5) I think I´ll stick with Pufferpunk´s comment about adding the canister filter from my 55 gallon tank...Then, I will be having two big external canisters for my tank and I will have to rearrange stuff but it´s worth it. I will probably drop the spraybar and place the flow towards the glass as I do not need much more currents. This way I will also be able to reuse beneficial bacteria for the bioload..good comment.

6) aha Freddy is a bit overweight. Noted. The pictures were taken straight after a big meal..looks really chubby but I don´t feed him unless his belly evens out..but I admit I have to feed him a bit less

thanks and have a great day!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What have you done to "feed" the bacteria you transferred over to that tank 2 months & again, 2 weeks ago?

Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

For two months, I have been feeding my Catfish and 2 SAPs (in the tank soon to be occupied by my Fahaka) almost the same diet as my Fahaka. My SAPs would be handfed with crushed snails, mussels, pieces of crab, cockle, shrimp, scampi, clams, mealworm, earthworms...lots of bloodworms (my Fahaka rejects those)...and my Catfish would eat pellets at the bottom...essentially the same diet...

when I took out the bag (net) of old gravel a week ago I assumed there was enough bacteria accumulated elsewhere in the tank at the time. At that time my two SAPs were also given away. The catfish and 6 neon tetras will soon be handed over to the new owner (can happen anytime now)...in the meantime I am feeding them with pellets and I am also giving some of my Fahaka´s left overs to the Catfish such as uneaten Asian river crab meat, uneaten shrimp or cockle etc...sometimes I disrupt my Fahaka´s feasts by taking out food to avoid overfeeding and let the Catfish finish the job as he would eat everything at the bottom...

Hence the answer is I think the new tank has handled pretty much the same type of bioload, but probably not as much (my fahaka is a lot more messy). I think I should be good to go if I transfer the external canister filter as well?
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I was saying you moved over the existing media from the canister. The fish in there would have kept it going just fine.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

The bioload of 2 SAPs some tetras & a catfish will equal that of your fahaka? Just to be safe, I'd add the extra bacteria of Safestart, when you add the puffer. ;)