Mappa owners

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Robd97
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Re: Mappa owners

Post by Robd97 »

olivazo77 wrote:here is my mappa puffer jag

that is a Stellatus puffer also known as a Starry puffer, often mistaken for the Mappa because of the eye and skin colouration.
I have one of each, both get massive.
GSPicthus
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): NY

Post by GSPicthus »

Since this is a Mappa thread I figured someone may know the answer to a question I have had for a while. I have only seen 1 Mappa puffer live, that was about 6 years ago. The only others I have seen have been in pictures.

The one I saw live had darker lines that were a bright purple and the back ground was a bright orangish yellow (one of the prettiest fish I have ever seen). The few pictures I have seen on line have been like the one in this tread (also very nice just different colors).

What I want to know is in real life are the lines black (like in the pics) or purple (like the one I saw)?
Robd97
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by Robd97 »

GSPicthus wrote:Since this is a Mappa thread I figured someone may know the answer to a question I have had for a while. I have only seen 1 Mappa puffer live, that was about 6 years ago. The only others I have seen have been in pictures.

The one I saw live had darker lines that were a bright purple and the back ground was a bright orangish yellow (one of the prettiest fish I have ever seen). The few pictures I have seen on line have been like the one in this tread (also very nice just different colors).

What I want to know is in real life are the lines black (like in the pics) or purple (like the one I saw)?
That really depends on the emotion of the fish, the stage of it's life haven't seen the purple you're talking about but this guys colour is constantly changing.
kauna
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by kauna »

Very nice pics :) what kind of set up do you have for him?
las
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Post by las »

I have a mappa in qt currently. Battling Ick introduced to the display by a purple tang. Yes I kno I'm an idiot. I will post some pics after treatment. Also, I've given up on tank mates for mappa puffers.

What are you guys using for filtration on your mappa systems?