Start brackish

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Bloat1995
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Start brackish

Post by Bloat1995 »

My boyfriend & I purchased two figure 8 puffers from a Jacks Pets about two months ago. We finally got the water under control (Ph, ammonia, nitrates, ect) so we wanted to start adding salt to make it brackish water. They were in fresh water at the Jacks pets we purchased them from, we were told we would eventually need to convert them to the brackish water. I have the instant ocean, & the hydrometer. We have a 20 gallon tank. I also know we need to do this gradually,so how much of the salt should we add per week? We cannot find a specific answer anywhere. Please help! :(
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Start brackish

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Galen1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Tetraodon palembangensis - Lepton
Takifugu ocellatus - Boson - RIP
Tetraodon baileyi - Hadron
Location (country): VA, USA

Re: Start brackish

Post by Galen1 »

I went up almost 0.002 each week as max recommended, but I think it was too quick for the bacteria to adjust. Be more patient than I was.
Plus you might want to check your batch of Instant Ocean salt. Lots of people love it, but some batches have problems as mentioned on all kinds of reef forums. Mine must be one of the bad batches because it added ammonia with my water changes! Mix up a a given concentration like you would do for a WC and measure your ammonia levels before you begin using it on the fish. Just in case.