Some advice for F8?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Cyn
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP
Location (country): USA

Some advice for F8?

Post by Cyn »

I posted this on another forum but got only one reply so I'd figure I'd look up a puffer forum and came against this awesome place.

I'm a bit worried (I tend to over worry) about my figure 8 whom I've had about 3 weeks or so now. I've read that they are full of personality but mine only paces the glass and hides when I approach. I also read they will eat non stop but mine seems to only accepts food every other day.

I've tried to feed frozen shrimp and live mussels but really had no interest in those and completely ignores the Ghost Shrimp. The only thing he will accept is frozen blood worms and sometimes even ignores the snails I throw in. At this time I have limited snails since I'm waiting for all my eggs to hatch and mature in my snail farm.

My puffer is about 2.5 inches long and my readings are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 40ppm
PH: 7.8
Temp: 78F
SG: 1.007

Aquarium is 20g long with about 15 ghost shrimp and I added even more plants yesterday but still seems to be the same old pacing and limited eating. Now the LFS said I could exchange for a new puffer if mine isn't adjusting well. Any advice? I'd hate to exchange unless I must since I've grown attached to this little guy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Some advice for F8?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Nitrate is high, should be <20. What's your WC schedule?
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... ur-puffer/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Cyn
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Cyn »

Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
Nitrate is high, should be <20. What's your WC schedule?
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... ur-puffer/
Actually the nitrate looked between colors of 20 and 40 and didn't know which color to go with so I went with 40ppm.
I do a 25% water change once a week but I think my water went a little bad from the live mussel when it died in over night and I didn't notice until the morning.
I didn't know those things went so bad that fast. Yuck. I probably won't buy those again since Jigglypuff refused to eat it.

Thanks for the link. Would meal worms or canadian nightcrawlers or red worms work? I have a reptile so I always have live worms and insects such as superworms and crickets. I was also thinking of throwing in a red clawed crab but I'm having second thoughts since it seems like a 50-50 chance of it getting actually eaten. I don't want it to live and end up having a new unwanted pet.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Looks good in the photos he's probably just settling in. If you reduce your SG to about 1.003 then you could add a floating plant like cerateptoris thalictroides which might make him feel a bit more secure and less likely to dash off at the first site of you.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yeah, I wouldn't think a small puffer like F8 could bite thru a crab's shell. I'd be concerned about the crab (if a male with large claw), catching the puffer while it's sleeping.
Mealworms are extremely fatty & puffers cannot digest their chiton, so maybe just as a treat, right after it's shed.

I get red wigglers at Walmart to feed to all my fish.
More ideas: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... r-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
By_a_coo
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 X GSP
Location (country): Brazil

Post by By_a_coo »

Hi,

Try to scape the decor just like zig zag to brake line of sight. Doing it, your F8 can't will not feel trapped in a glass box.

How many watts of light bulb you have?

I gave up on plants after understand "less light = happier puffer".
Wouldn't you offer raw shrimp yet?
My F8 cant resist!

Hope that help.
Fernando