Green Spotted Puffer - Ziggy Stardust

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
nurseshel
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 dwarf puffer - Puffy Puff, aka Puffy Po
1 green spotted puffer - Ziggy Stardust
Location (country): United States

Green Spotted Puffer - Ziggy Stardust

Post by nurseshel »

Hi,

We got a GSP a few weeks ago for our 29 gallon aquarium that we bought used ... which ended up being a 37 gallon. Apparently the person didn't know what size it was. However, he is back in a 29 gallon because the center support on the first tank broke a few days ago and I had to buy a new tank - the glass didn't break but I was worried it would or the silicone would come apart because the front was bowing out slightly. Not knowing it was really a 37, I bought a 29 (which the box had listed dimensions that were "the same" as mine ... except apparently the ones on the box were including the hood - so I still thought it was a 29). When I was refilling it with all of the tank water (10 buckets of it) I discovered that it had to have been a 37 that I had and not a 29 since all of the water didn't go back into it (sigh). After 3 hours of transferring everything out of one and back into the new one we decided to just leave it for now and in a few years upgrade him since 29 is just fine for him all by himself.

Naming him was really difficult! We finally decided on Ziggy Stardust after David Bowie died because a friend of me was telling me that David Bowie used to go by Ziggy Stardust (I never knew that) and my husband and I decided that was an awesome name for a puffer :) He is about 2 inches including his tail or about 1.75 inches without his tail.

Ziggy is a happy puffer! Thanks to whoever had mentioned giving them shrimp tails with a little bit of meat left in - that is his very favorite food and a good excuse to have more shrimp! I have to take it out before he eats too much but he loves it. He's eaten everything I've offered: shrimp, clams, blood worms, krill, squid, brine shrimp, and snails. Frozen foods soaked with vitamins and zoecon. He has started begging like a mad man when he thinks it's time to eat - LOL!

I've added a little marine salt so far, only up by .001 the last two weeks. His color is a lot brighter than when I first got him with the green more vibrant. I can't wait to see how he looks when he's a brackish and then marine.

Here's some pictures - some are in first tank, some are in second ... second has no plants.
2015-12-31 20.29.24.jpg
2016-01-01 13.32.35.jpg
2016-01-16 21.44.03.jpg
2016-01-16 21.44.05.jpg
2016-01-16 21.45.15.jpg
And here's a video of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0tXGbRBAo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Re: Green Spotted Puffer - Ziggy Stardust

Post by Hillehaus »

That is a healthy looking GSP. Keep slowly easing that salinity up into brackish. You probably have a good while before you need to go full marine but, others will chime in on that. Plan well for that step. 29g is fine, 40 gallon breeder is better, 55g+ is best. Especially when you start talking all the water displacement due to live rock. It is initially expensive but, in the long run, the costs will even out. Once you head in the marine direction though, you'll probably see a growth spurt, more vibrant colors, and more activity.

Keep up the good work and enjoy!
nurseshel
Puffer Fry

Post by nurseshel »

Thanks!

If I get him into full marine sooner than later (while he's little), could I use a HOB refugium and live rock along with my canister filter? My canister filter is rated for tanks up to 65 gallons and circulates 185 GPH per the manufacturer, although I don't usually have it running full force right now. In the 37 gallon Ziggy had gotten used to full force, but with the 29 it's a bit much current so I'm alternating from about 3/4 current to full for short periods. He handles the 3/4 like it's nothing but is struggling a little with full in the 29. When I first brought him home full current in the 37 was more than he could handle and would almost knock him to the bottom of the tank. Before the center support broke he was handling the full current like it was nothing.

I know the refugium and live rock make a marine tank more stable but my canister filter is so great right now I hate to think of taking it off when it's a marine tank. Every time I test the water is perfect and I would hate to mess anything up when it's marine.

I have to get my husband used to the idea of a 55 gallon in baby steps :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You'd be better off with a protein skimmer than that cannister. FW means of filtration are considered "nitrate factories", when used for SW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
nurseshel
Puffer Fry

Post by nurseshel »

The HOB refugium i was looking at has a protein skimmer in it, I forgot to mention it.

So once I have the HOB refugium with the protein skimmer and the live rock, I'm better off taking the canister off?

Clearly I have research to do!

The only saltwater I ever had was a 20 gallon with a HOB filter (plain filter) and live rock and I had to sell it when I was in nursing school along with all of my other tanks. I had a huge discus tank, my fig 8 puffer tank, and the one salt tank - but it was many years ago and I've forgotten everything and anything I ever knew about salt from back then. I only had two fish in it and never had water quality problems. I liked the live rock as much or more than the fish at the time. Although I know in my current tank my puffer will eat most of the fun stuff that grows on it as soon as he discovers it.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Post by Hillehaus »

I'd lean towards no with a canister filter unless you are willing/able to break it town every 2-3 days for a thorough cleaning. People successfully do it. It's not worth the hassle in my opinion.