GSP in forever brackish tank ?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

GSP in forever brackish tank ?

Post by Maggiec »

I'm agonizing over the set-up in the new larger permanent home for my 2 GSPs that I'm preparing for. I've read so many sources that recommend full marine but I'm not only daunted by the task (having no experience with that) but also because I do prefer the look of a planted tank. I've googled around and can't quite find the right answer. Any of you out there who've kept their guys long term in brackish water low end enough to sustain a few plants?

Right now, mine are in 1.005. They're just under 2". Here's a photo of Julia sleeping curled up on a leaf. So cute! My daughter (who wakes up much earlier) claimed she saw this and I finally caught her one morning. She sheepishly uncurled herself & promptly started begging for food:) As you can see, the plant is starting to languish but the others are still ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP in forever brackish tank ?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Forget a planted tank for these fellas--the plants will die at the high BW levels required for this species. This is why we just suggest going all the way to SW levels & set up a marine system. You could keep it high-end BW but that involves expen$ive weekly 50% WC.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

+1 to PP. Go full salt. Live rock and skimmer. Initial investment is more but will save you money on salt in the long run .
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Believe me--nobody was more intimidated by marine tanks than myself! I even worked in the LFS industry for 8 years & wouldn't go down the SW isles. But keeping GSPs changed all that for me. It's a slow changeover process--take your time. It can be done in weeks or even years. What it did for me though, is turned me over to the dark side of SW:

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.

Post by Maggiec »

I'm one of those people who was assured by LFS staff that this was a freshwater fish that just needed a bit of salt. I've always thought puffers were the most fascinating fish in marine tanks & was so happy there was a freshwater kind! I've learned that you just can't trust LFS to be knowledgeable - gotta do your own research. First I made the leap into committing myself to a much bigger tank, now I feel I have to take on a whole new thing!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can do this! We'll talk you thru every step of the way.
Here's some reading for you: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... d-puffers/
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=19348

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

Thanks! I've just got to wrap my head around it. I've kept freshwater aquariums for a long time and always played with the idea that I'd do a marine aquarium when I retired - when I "had more time." It just seemed like a huge financial and time-consuming hobby.
Your tank looks amazing btw
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

So I've been trolling Craigslist for tanks. There was an awesome deal early on but I decided to wait and see since I felt I wasn't informed enough, so of course now I'm finding there's not much out there.

Here is a typical ad that looks like it might work potentially, Most of the setups for for freshwater, while a few SW aquariums are crazy expensive and huge. (Just looking at pics of crazy sumps/hoses/lights makes me a bit dizzy, haha)
What do you think? What do I need to add to this setup to make it a good SW system? What is a reasonable amount to spend? I'm thinking FOWLR since coral is too scary right now.

70 Gallon Aquarium
Oak Stand, under gravel filter,plus an 'Aqua Clear' power filter.
2 Optima air pumps, Modular LED Aquarium Light.
'True Temp' heater.
Gravel, Decorative Rock, Driftwood and plastic Plants.
Aquarium measures 48"x18"x20".
$300.