F8 Puffer Hovering = Sleeping?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
AsterTea
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

F8 Puffer Hovering = Sleeping?

Post by AsterTea »

I got my F8 puffer, Otto, a couple days ago and while staying up throughout the wee hours until around 4am in my office, where the tank is located, I noticed that Otto was just hovering in the same spot almost vertical against the glass. I read other people's experiences with puffers sleeping and they all seem to sleep resting on a surface instead of hovering. I also keep a few fancy goldfish have one that sleeps hovering, another that sleeps on the bottom in a corner, and the other does both. I hope that this hovering is actually him sleeping, but it scares me that it's not since his fins, other than his tail, are fluttering as usual.

Also, if anyone has advice on how to make the top half of the tank as fun as the bottom, I would love it! The bottom has two hollowy "logs", and two caves, along with various fake plants.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: F8 Puffer Hovering = Sleeping?

Post by Welch4 »

F8's require brackish water. Please read the articles in the library here for this species. When puffers sleep they typically rest near a surface not always the bottom. Mine likes to rest it's stomach against my mag float that is near the top of the tank. I have not heard of or seen a puffer sleeping vertically as the picture shows. If you can post a full rundown of your tank it would aid us providing recommendations. Water parameters, ammonia ,nitrite ,nitrate ,specific gravity (salinity). Tank size, filtration, flow, maintenance schedule, additives, tank inhabitants, feeding schedule.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
AsterTea
Puffer Fry

Post by AsterTea »

Welch4 wrote:F8's require brackish water. Please read the articles in the library here for this species. When puffers sleep they typically rest near a surface not always the bottom. Mine likes to rest it's stomach against my mag float that is near the top of the tank. I have not heard of or seen a puffer sleeping vertically as the picture shows. If you can post a full rundown of your tank it would aid us providing recommendations. Water parameters, ammonia ,nitrite ,nitrate ,specific gravity (salinity). Tank size, filtration, flow, maintenance schedule, additives, tank inhabitants, feeding schedule.
I've got him in brackish (using Instant Ocean marine salt premixed in a bucket), 1.004, after drip acclimating from the 1.002-1.003 he was in at the pet store. I've read the F8 articles a while ago when I first began cycling my tank. I did find him resting at the bottom near the entrance of one of the hollow logs when I got home from work tonight. I measured the gravity with a hydrometer, but I have a refractometer coming in next week.

This 15 gallon tank was cycled using Tetra Safe Start and liquid ammonia, dosing at no more than 2ppm a day. This cycled pretty quickly (2.5 weeks) since I added in some cycled biomax (ceramic rings) from my cycled 55 gallon. I checked the levels using the API Freshwater Master Kit almost a full week after I thought it was cycled to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Currently, ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates at 5ppm. Since my filter does only 100GPH, I do 50%+ water changes using a siphon twice a week and use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate. I also dosed a tiny bit (like a few drops of each) of Melafix and Pimafix just for the first day. Otto is alone in the tank and it's at around 80F. He gets a couple snails a day and I have frozen bloodworms in my freezer as treats for later. There is also a airstone in the tank since warmer water needs to have an oxygen boost.

I'm gonna see if adding more decorations to the top half of the tank stops him form vertically hovering. I think I can get my hands on one of those "tank terraces" that are basically a "second floor" and a floating log they have for bettas at a pet store.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

^ ^^^ Great work on the cycling of your tank!
I measured the gravity with a hydrometer, but I have a refractometer coming in next week.
Be sure to get calibration solution for this or it's no better than a hydrometer.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

i shouldn't post that late at night. I though you kept ottos and goldfish in with your f8, completely read that wrong.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Post by TOPuffers »

I shall continue to demonstrate my status as Forever Noob when it comes to aquaria.

My latest dumb question, spurred by this thread - what is a 'tank terrace'? o.O
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley
AsterTea
Puffer Fry

Post by AsterTea »

TOPuffers wrote:I shall continue to demonstrate my status as Forever Noob when it comes to aquaria.

My latest dumb question, spurred by this thread - what is a 'tank terrace'? o.O
It's not a dumb question. (: It's what this shelf thing is branded as to make it sound fancier. You can see it below. It's actually a really cheap piece of plastic and there were so many sharp parts that I spent a good 15 minutes sanding it all down. I also got a betta leaf "hammock" and a betta floating log since they're a good size for Otto. I still have to use aquarium silicone to stick a suction cup on the log so it doesn't move around. Otto has been settling in really well. Very minimal up and downs. I spent my night separating out MTS from a few mixed bags of "feeder" snails I got from my LPS and my hands have absorbed stinky snail water. ):

I've taken out the heater since Hawaii temperature stays warm enough so the heater was basically doing nothing but wasting electricity and an outlet.
nurseshel
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 dwarf puffer - Puffy Puff, aka Puffy Po
1 green spotted puffer - Ziggy Stardust

Post by nurseshel »

Ozzie will do this if it is dark outside and the tank light is still on or the room light is on and the tank light is off. I think the bright light is bothering him. If I switch from white to blue LEDs on the tank light and turn the room light off he stops doing it and resumes normal behavior (either swimming around or sleeping normally).

I originally thought he was freaked out because it was his new tank (first night) ... but once I turned the light to blue and turned off the room light his behavior normalized. If my son comes in after dark and turns the light back to white lights he will swim around for a few minutes and then he will go back to head up tail down by the glass like yours is in the picture. I scold my child, turn the lights to blue and within a few seconds he is back to normal.