New Figure Eight

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Maria1213
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

New Figure Eight

Post by Maria1213 »

Hello,
I am currently in the long process of setting up my first tank. My mom has a beautiful 50 gallon tank at her house that inspired me to get my own 20 gallon and I am in love with the puffer fish. I have an old tank that I have thoroughly cleaned. I have been researching the Figure Eight Puffer for around 2 weeks now, and making a list of all of the things I will need for a happy, healthy tank for the new baby. The puffer will be in a tank alone since I don't want to risk her eating or nipping other fish. I have some pretty blue gravel for the tank, driftwood, a cave, and I am planning on getting soft sand and lots of grassy and leafy plants for her to hide and explore in. The tank is not set up yet, but I plan on getting it running this weekend so it can start cycling water through and I can get it heated and a little salty for her with my mom's help (she knows a lot more about tank set up than I, and she is teaching me so I can make sure it's very safe).

Here's what I need help with:

Do I have to feed her live snails and shrimp to eat or can I find some freeze dried/ frozen type of ones to give her? I've also read that half shell clams can be bought frozen and given to them since the shell will do the same trick as the hard shell of a snail to dull the teeth. Where do I buy any of this stuff?

Can I put regular plants in my tank because the salinity is still low or will they die?

What is a good tester fish for the tank before I get her? I want to have a fish to put in the tank to keep it going before hand that will help get all the good bacteria going but also so I know it's safe for her beforehand. Or would some sort of shrimp or snail work as a tester?

Please, any tips and help I can get so I can get my baby would be wonderful.

Thank you,
Maria

P.S. Yes, I keep calling it a she because although you can't sex them I will assume she is a girl and I will call her Bumble.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New Figure Eight

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Maria1213 wrote:Hello,
I am currently in the long process of setting up my first tank. My mom has a beautiful 50 gallon tank at her house that inspired me to get my own 20 gallon and I am in love with the puffer fish. I have an old tank that I have thoroughly cleaned. I have been researching the Figure Eight Puffer for around 2 weeks now, and making a list of all of the things I will need for a happy, healthy tank for the new baby. The puffer will be in a tank alone since I don't want to risk her eating or nipping other fish. I have some pretty blue gravel for the tank, driftwood, a cave, and I am planning on getting soft sand and lots of grassy and leafy plants for her to hide and explore in. The tank is not set up yet, but I plan on getting it running this weekend so it can start cycling water through and I can get it heated and a little salty for her with my mom's help (she knows a lot more about tank set up than I, and she is teaching me so I can make sure it's very safe).

Here's what I need help with:

Do I have to feed her live snails and shrimp to eat or can I find some freeze dried/ frozen type of ones to give her? I've also read that half shell clams can be bought frozen and given to them since the shell will do the same trick as the hard shell of a snail to dull the teeth. Where do I buy any of this stuff?

Can I put regular plants in my tank because the salinity is still low or will they die?

What is a good tester fish for the tank before I get her? I want to have a fish to put in the tank to keep it going before hand that will help get all the good bacteria going but also so I know it's safe for her beforehand. Or would some sort of shrimp or snail work as a tester?

Please, any tips and help I can get so I can get my baby would be wonderful.

Thank you,
Maria

P.S. Yes, I keep calling it a she because although you can't sex them I will assume she is a girl and I will call her Bumble.
You don't need to feed them live stuff, frozen will be fine. Many LFS's sell frozen shrimps & cockles with shells on but you could also buy stuff from your local supermarket and freeze it. Shrimps and mussels are said to contain Thiamenese which breaks down vitamin B so look more towards snails and cockles if you can or at least get a good vitamin supplement.

Many plants will survive low salinity (SG1.002-1.003@25DegC): http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/to ... h-aquaria/
Plants that have worked well for me are:
Java Fern, Water Sprite, Java Moss, Cryptocoryne Wendtii, Bacopa Monieri and Aponogenton Crispus. You're plants will be under a little bit more strain than in freshwater so will probably need a little more help with regular fertilisation; look into EI dosing with dry salt ferts to save a bit of cash.

I couldn't & wouldn't recommend any type of 'tester' animal, look into the fishless cycling links that PP has provided. If you add the plants first before the cycle finishes and get them looking healthy then they will help when you do add the puffer. If you commit to testing the water daily and carrying out water changes twice weekly for the first month then you should alleviate any 'mini-cycle' that may occur.

Bumble is a good name.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Other good foods are live worms & frozen/freeze-dried plankton & mysis shrimp.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
genevieve
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 F8 puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by genevieve »

I have a F8 and use "she/her" when talking about her.

My F8 loves pest snails and freeze dried krill. Those are her favorites. She makes crunching noises when she eats that are cute. =D