F8 wont eat live food: Experiment/post No. 2

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
klobie
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Pudd'nhead Wilson, my baby Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): New Jersey, United States of America

F8 wont eat live food: Experiment/post No. 2

Post by klobie »

I posted a question previously on here about my almost-fully-grown F8 who refused to eat a ghost shrimp I got for him. Now, I feed a variety of different frozen foods so he has a diverse diet; but Im worried about his little beakie thing. Shouldnt he want to eat the shrimp to maintain his beak? Dont their instincts tell them this?
So I figured he was maybe too young to eat live food yet and I gave him some time. But meow I would say he's almost fully grown so I figured it was time for another experiment with live food. This time, I got a snail. In my last post, several people recommended trying snails. It isnt even a big snail, he's a maybe one centimeter and a half Zebra snail. Once again, unfortunately, I just seem to have acquired another pet! The snail has been exploring the tank for maybe 3 days now and Puddn hasnt even tried pecking at him yet. He has definitely seen him cause he has swam right past him countless times now.
what should/could I do to encourage my dude to eat this snail?? Am I doing something wildly wrong? Please dont be afraid to be harsh if you see me making a huge mistake somewhere. This is my first puffer and I know their caretaking is quite different than that of other fishies. Im happy to get constructive criticism :)
Thanks in advance!!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: F8 wont eat live food: Experiment/post No. 2

Post by Pufferpunk »

Zebra snails are way to hard for your puffer to munch on. Get pesty pond snails--as big as the puffer's eye. Otherwise, crush larger ones for him.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"