Figure 8's in Marine?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
munchypuf
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: I have a young figure eight puffer named Munchy.
Location (country): I live on the West Coast of the United States of America.

Figure 8's in Marine?

Post by munchypuf »

I was wondering if figure 8's could be kept in a marine environment? I found two websites and a reputable saltwater store that said they could, but I found another website that says they would die. Which is true? Also, if anyone knows of a place where I could get healthy figure 8's (not places like PetCo) in the Bay Area, California (USA)? Thanks!

-Ashley
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Figure 8's in Marine?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nothing reputable about that store, if they suggest keeping F8s in marine. they actually come from very hard freshwater. Making FW that hard & keeping it stable is extremely difficult, hence why we keep them at low-end BW SG of 1.003-5.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
munchypuf
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: I have a young figure eight puffer named Munchy.
Location (country): I live on the West Coast of the United States of America.

Post by munchypuf »

Ok. I have another question: Are figure 8 puffers from places like Petco doomed to die quickly, even if they were in good health when they were bought? Thank you for your help.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

munchypuf wrote:Ok. I have another question: Are figure 8 puffers from places like Petco doomed to die quickly, even if they were in good health when they were bought? Thank you for your help.
No, I'm fairly sure that they can't read the shop name on their way in or way out of the shop.