Unusual bioload? Or too early to tell?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Green spotted pufferfish
Location (country): New Zealand

Unusual bioload? Or too early to tell?

Post by Blinkey »

So my tank (15.5 gal.) had been completely cycled for a few months now, and I have been keeping three BBGs. However, now I have finally acquired a figure eight puffer and have had him since Wednesday (15/04/2015) :D .
I noticed it paces a lot in a single corner in the tank, and now I have decided it is likely out of nerves and being scared of me when I get near the tank to watch him/her, which hopefully will come down with the next few weeks. At first I thought it may have been due to incorrect water parameters, so I did a full water test and came out with: 1.004 sg, 0 Amm., 0 Nitri., 0 Nitra. and 8.2 pH.

Isn't my nitrate reading extremely strange? I was expecting some +ve reading now matter how small... Before you ask, yes I have re-tested and cross-referenced with another (LFS) test kit and the results are identical. I do have about six java fern growing in the tank, but most are only small cuttings, is that really enough to eliminate nitrates?

Thanks and sorry for the long post :redface:
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Unusual bioload? Or too early to tell?

Post by Pufferpunk »

What brand test are you using? If it's liquid, you have to shake the crap out of it.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Using API liquid (freshwater) and yeah I have been following the instructions very closely. I even got the LFS to try and they got the same results. :?
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Today I re-tested for everything amm. = 0, nitri. = 0 and nitra. still 0.
This time I decided to whack the hell out of the 2nd bottle (for nitrates) for a whole 2 minutes on a tile floor... If that wouldn't do it, I don't know what will :)
Very confused by this result, although it may have to do with how my puffer is a juvenile at the moment (~2 inches) and isn't eating very much. He does eat 3-4 snails about the size of his eye each day. So this may have something to do with the undetectable nitrates.
I would like to get my puffer to eat other meaty foods such as shrimp, but he seems to ignore whatever I attempt to feed him (unless it's a snail). Anyone experienced this and/or have any tips for getting them to diversify their diet?
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

library/feeding/problems-feeding-your-puffer/
Maybe get it tested at your LFS?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Thanks for that link. I guess I'm being too impatient, he/she did give a few nips at the shrimp, but I think that was out of sheer curiosity and not hunger. Maybe it'll get more interested in the next few days.
I went to the LFS to buy a new nitrate kit (current one is almost empty), tested again out of curiosity using the new kit and still am getting 0 ppm, despite extreme shaking and banging on the floor with the 2nd bottle.
Oh well, seems my tank is healthy since there is no detectable amm. and nitri. so I guess I'll just take it for what it is.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
maccyg
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by maccyg »

Hope things work out for you, my tank is all cycled now and I'm picking up my 3x F8's today, can't wait!

Just a thought, does your F8 have plenty of hiding places / cover / areas to feel safe and not exposed such as dense planting / caves? It's probably just a case of him needing to settle in to his new surroundings but if there are BBG's in there already this may be making him nervous and if he doesn't have any areas to hide this could be part of the issue.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Yeah, it has plenty of hides and seems to ignore the BBGs. It seems to be pacing far less often now, and I found him/her last night asleep on a plant leaf :)
So it's definitely more comfortable in the tank now, guess all that's left is getting used to my presence.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Just wanted to update and say that my puffer which I've decided to name 'Blinkey', has finally decided to try bloodworms I feed using a pipette. Hopefully this is phase one of learning to associate me with food :D
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

While they have little nutritional value at all, live brine shrimp has always been the quickest way for me to "introduce myself" to new fish. They go nuts over them.

Live black works are similarly "crack" like.