Multiple Puffers

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Multiple Puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

Old eyes have a hard time seeing it.
I'm quite sensitive about my old eyes. :geezer:
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Cu455
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New York

Post by Cu455 »

So I took down my vat and upgrading to a 8ft vat. In the mean time I have a 40 gallon glass vat I would like to use for puffers until my new vat is up and running. The petshop by me has puffers labeled as figure 8's but I think they are Tetraodon fluviatilis, Ceylon Puffers.

My tank is a macro algae tank, mostly caluperia and red garceria. Will the puffers eat it all? I don't mind if they eat some but I don't want all my macro to disappear.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Considering they are mostly meat-eaters, I don't think you need to worry about your macro-algae. If you could get a photo of the puffers at your LFS, they can easily be IDed here. If they are not Ceylons but indeed F8s, then you couldn't keep the SG high enough with them to support SW algae.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Cu455
Puffer Fry

Post by Cu455 »

Thanks for the reply. I will try and get pictures next time I am at the store. A different store by me had green spotted puffers and I got 2 of them. I will post pictures once they finish acclimating.

The reason why I asked about the algae is because I had a New Guinea puffer that ate all my Macros, sponges, feather dusters, polyps and anything else attached to the rock. If these guys eat my macros I am putting the blame on you pufferpunk :lol:
Cu455
Puffer Fry

Post by Cu455 »

The puffers look great. They are active, eating and picking at my rocks/statue. It is nice to have a fish in my tank that people will actually notice. The tankmates are an American eel, leucistic grouper and a pair of mandarins. All which I rarely see. There are also 3 mummichogs which are a little more noticeable.

The second video is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0nszAdiq2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlwuCwonHg
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Tetraodon nigroviridis. Green spotted puffers. Healthy looking. I haven't had any issues with mine eating macro. Although the Feather dusters are another story, mine freaks out when they retract and always attacks them.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk