salt estimate

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Jdub1239
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Wisconsin

salt estimate

Post by Jdub1239 »

I am looking to set up a 29 brackish for a f8 and maybe some bumblebee gobbies. Can anyone give me an estimate of how much salt it takes to set up and maintain per month at 30% weekly water changes.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: salt estimate

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Many marine salts are concentrated differently, so it would be hard to estimate like that. After a few WC, you should figure it out. Most BW fish are sold in FW or slightly "salted" FW, so it would probably be best to cycle the tank as FW & slowly bring it up to BW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

What pufferpunk says is right but work out between 2&4 tablespoons for every 5 litres changed and you won't be far wrong
puffyme
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP
Location (country): United States

Post by puffyme »

I bought my GSP from LPS, the guy told me it is good on freshwater. But I did some research and saw many comments GSP does go from FW-BW-SW by age.
Right? Now I have 10g tank temperary for my 1.25" GSP in freshwater, by time I will switch to bigger tank as everyone recommend min 30-55g. Should I slowly change to BW by adding 0.002 sea salt on every water cycle until it hit 1.005-1.008?

And just want to make sure how often I need to do a water cycle to maintain my puffer to be health and happy? The guy from the LPS told me 3-4 weeks. But all the research and comments I read said they are messy eater and weekly water change will be needed. Just want to know the right way to keep my puffer healthy and happy. Now I am feeding it once a day with Frozen Brine Shrimp and 1-2 tiny pond snail in a size of smaller than its eyes ball.

Another question I have is what kind of water will be the best for the fish? Spring water? Tap Water? Because when I use the test stripe to test out the No2, No3, pH, and water hardness. The ppm for the water is kind of high. What is the desire ppm for the water? Will spring water and sea salt balance out the ppm for the water?

Please give me some advise!

Thank You!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It is recommended to do a 50% weekly WC for ALL fish. Tap water is fine. Forget the strips--they are very inaccurate. Get an API liquid test kit.

Have you kept fish before? Please tell us how you cycled this tank?

More reading for you:
library/category/water-filtration/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

puffyme
Puffer Fry

Post by puffyme »

This is my first fish. I bought a Marineland 10g tank kit, which included 50w heater, double size filter, and LED lid. Along with the tank I also got the Prime dechlorinator and the tester strips. Before I got the GSP, I set up the tank with Prime dechlorinator, heater, decorations, and have the filter running for about 7-10 days. Its been 8 days since I had the GSP in the tank now. I am thinking to do a water change and add some sea salt to slowly turn it to BW.

How do I know if the tank is fully cycled? Getting the API test kit to make sure the Ammonia: 0 ppm, Nitrite: 0 ppm, Nitrate: less than 20 ppm (especially for puffers)?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Reading the articles I linked you to ( the 1st 4), should help you a lot, to understand the cycling process. Since you already have the fish in your (uncycled) tank, I'd go with the emergency cycling option.

puffyme
Puffer Fry

Post by puffyme »

Thanks! So for this situation I should use the Prime Dechlorinator and BioSpira when WC to lower or eliminate the toxic until there are beneficial bacteria in my system?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

No need for B-S, after your tank is cycled. Always use Prime!

puffyme
Puffer Fry

Post by puffyme »

Thanks!
puffyme
Puffer Fry

Post by puffyme »

Its been almost 3 months now! My puffy is happy and healthy. One question I have regarding to the salt estimate is from Feb I been 50% WC weekly and raise the SG of a tank by 0.002 weekly. My question is what is the desired SG? My puffy is around 2" now and the SG I am running now is 1.020 and he is doing fine. As I saw the Specific Gravity, It suggest keeping GSPs in low-end brackish water when juvenile <2″, (in a specific gravity, or SG of 1.005-10, at 2-4″, medium BW (SG 1.010-15) and adult >4″ SW (SG 1.018-22).

Should I lower the SG or just keep it at 1.020?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

1.018 is good enough, why waste the $alt? Are you converting the tank to a marine system, by adding live rock & a protein skimmer?