just bought my Christmas present

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
rabbit91476
Puffer Fry

just bought my Christmas present

Post by rabbit91476 »

So I fully intended on buying a 36 gallon bow front from pet co. so I could get another Red eye. I miss my Tweek. but I went by the LFS who has not been able to move tanks. I bought a 50 gallon bow front/hood/ stand/ from viso for $308. to big for a red eye. wife says you need a bigger fish. I like the green spotted ones you showed me. so I say cool ok. all my research has been on freshwater, red eyes and fahakas( which I really want but am about 2000$ short for the tank). so let the research begin. I don't have enough to finish tank but it was a good deal in my eyes for the Right spot. I plan on cartridge filter, with inline heater. 2 gsp and some type of gobie if I reacall from my readings long ago. any advice on brackish is appreciated. im stepping up from a 7 gallon freshwater minibow.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: just bought my Christmas present

Post by Pufferpunk »

Stick with a single GSP for a 50g. When you get him up to SW, depending on how aggressive it is, you may be able to add a tomato clown, 3-4 damselfish or some other fast-moving SW fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Walla2GSP
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: "Tank" - Dogface Puffer
"Mule" - GSP
'Bob" - GSP "Rescue"
Location (country): USA

Post by Walla2GSP »

+1 to PPs comments, just stick with one GSP in a tank that small, and get your GSP fully acclimated to a FOWLR tank before adding any other fish. I have 2 electric damsels, and a 2.5" hermit crab in with my one right now, and the GSP is constantly harassing all of them. As someone, who has tried the GSP in both FW and Brackish in the past before moving the last two into SW as quickly as they could acclimate, I HIGHLY recommend SW, it is night and day difference seeing them in SW versus the previous two.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, don't expect that hermit to last in there. It's only a matter of time before the puffer figures out how to get at it.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Walla2GSP
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: "Tank" - Dogface Puffer
"Mule" - GSP
'Bob" - GSP "Rescue"

Post by Walla2GSP »

yeah, I actually expected him to be gone already, but he was destroying my refugium, and gives the Puffer something to chase. He has actually been in there for three months and has done a surprising job of staying away so far, but it's just a matter of time. I live under the assumption that anything I put in the tank will be puffer food eventually.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

Walla2GSP wrote:yeah, I actually expected him to be gone already, but he was destroying my refugium, and gives the Puffer something to chase. He has actually been in there for three months and has done a surprising job of staying away so far, but it's just a matter of time. I live under the assumption that anything I put in the tank will be puffer food eventually.
+1 to destroying the refuge. I now have 2 blue legs, 2 red legs, and an emerald crab that have been able to avoid my gsp for the past two months. I do fully intend them to be a snack eventually.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

I guess I'm lucky with Olive... He doesn't seem to care about his tank mates or hermits... He would only bother snails.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR