Figure Eights in a 1.003sg Low Tech Planted Tank

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Queue
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Central Maine

Figure Eights in a 1.003sg Low Tech Planted Tank

Post by Queue »

Hello, All. Newly registered on the forum. Sincerely appreciate the wealth of information and experience available here.

Straight to the point, would F8s live a long healthy life in an aquarium with an SG of 1.003?

I'm returning to the hobby -- as much interested in flora as fauna actually -- and I'm thinking long term options. Something that really appeals to me would be a planted tank with several F8s. I'm thinking of a 40B (plus sump) because the dimensions work well for scaping. It would also provide space for 3 F8s if they got along. For this particular tank I'm thinking low tech (medium light, light ferts, and no C02 injection). I'd really like to do F8s as well, but being brackish, I'm not sure this is an ideal combination. I've done many plants in the past at SG 1.003 but is this reasonable for an F8? Most sources suggest 1.005 - 1.010. Lacking experience growing plants in this range all I can say is that my plant options would probably be fewer. Several posts I've read online have said they keep their F8s at 1.003 successfully. I don't want to simply be successful -- I want them to be healthy too -- not stressed and sickly. So, is there anyone here who has kept F8s at this salinity? Did they seem as healthy as those kept at 1.005-1.010?

Thanks for your feedback. I'm really at the 'dreaming' stage at this point so if this particular combination isn't appropriate, now is the time for me to find out!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Figure Eights in a 1.003sg Low Tech Planted Tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
1.003-005 us the perfect SG for a long-lived F8.
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Had my puffer for around 6-7 years and for the first year or 2 I fluctuated the salinity from SG1.003-SG1.008 but I have maintained at SG1.003@25DegC since then. To be honest I have seen no difference in his behaviour at any salinity so I reckon that staying at SG1.003 is fine.
Queue
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Central Maine

Post by Queue »

Thanks guys. Glad to hear directly from some folks with experience.