Help with puffer, I seem to be at a cross roads....

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Jennk
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Help with puffer, I seem to be at a cross roads....

Post by Jennk »

So. I did a no no. I listened to the guy in the fish store. Yes, it's fresh water, yes, it will do just fine in your tropical set up, no, you don't need any salt. Ugh. So, thus I excitedly brought home my very first puffer fish! I have always wanted one... So I get home and I run to my tank and excitedly plop my bag in to acclimate him and I plop a spot in my chair grab up my iPad and start doing my research. I brought home one very adorable figure eight puffer fish. Yes he will thrive in my 38 gallon tank. Just not with the tank mates nor with out salt. I did so much research that I found the truth behind the fresh water or brackish water debacle. Here is the truth- figure eights are found in the wild in freshwater rivers and streams, as babies. They then make their way down the river to live happily at the mouth where the river meets the sea. Some stay closer in and some venture further out. So, in essence a figure eight puffer can be a fresh, brackish, and salt water fish. It all depends on their age and their preference. I have a very young puffer so I thought maybe I lucked out and bought myself some time. No. It is obvious he is not very happy in the aquarium. I cannot add any salt, since I have pictus catfish and any salt will harm them. I cannot take him back because it's over an hour drive. I cannot rush out to purchase another set up for him as I don't have that kind of cash hanging around. I do however have a small 2.5 gallon aquarium. It does not have a filter, but it is small enough I could do daily water changes if necessary. But I do not have an extra air pump... I do not know what would be more harmful to my little guy, small confines with no filtration, heater or air pump, or the stress of being in a tropical fresh water tank with high ammonia levels (again) and a lot of fish.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Help with puffer, I seem to be at a cross roads....

Post by Welch4 »

Welcome to the forum ! If your current 38 is properly cycled it should have 0 ammonia. IMHO a 2.5 is far too small for any fish. You need to decide quickly if you can setup an appropriate tank for your f8, or rehome.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Jennk
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Jennk »

I just had surgery a week ago and haven't been able to do a proper water change in about a week now. Since I have several messy fish in there I have to do a twice weekly twenty five percent water change and daily vacuuming to really keep on top of the ammonia. The 2.5 would be temporary. And by that I mean an estimated week or so, until the funds became available to purchase a 15 gallon and appropriate accessories. I agree in the long run a 2.5 gal is not nearly spacious enough for even a betta but it has come in handy on several occasions and I advise anyone to keep one on hand!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Yes for emergencies they are great to have on hand. I actually use a so called betta container when i drip acclimate new fish and corals.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk