I am new, and boy, do I need help!! :)

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Bonnie#1
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

I am new, and boy, do I need help!! :)

Post by Bonnie#1 »

Hello!
I previously owned a pet store, so am fairly knowledgeable about fish and aquariums, dogs, cats, etc., BUT I don't know everything! :)

I take care of 5 45 gal. bow-front tanks at a veterans home, plus an aviary of finches and 3 cockatiels!! My hands are full, because I work nights, full time at wallyworld!!

I have been trying to get a variety of fish for the residents that are easily visible. Most tanks are doing well, but I kind of screwed up with one, buying 5 spotted green puffers!! I knew they were nippy, but THEY ARE DEVILS!! :shock: The tank said they were compatible with mollies and other fish, but I think that had to be concerning the salinity of the water! I put them with 3 platys and a pleco and then researched more that evening (an eye opener, to say the least!!) I went back the next day and one platy was MIA and the other 2 had been nipped on and were hiding. The pleco, I found had had his MOUTH bit up, too!! I brought those 3 fish home and they are doing well!

One puffer had died right away - not in very good shape to begin with - and the others seemed pretty happy. I went back the next day to check on them, and found ONE swimming around!! Eventually, the 2 missing ones reappeared, to be INSTANTLY attacked by the obviously dominate one! I brought those 2 home and set up a 10 gal. tank for them, temporarily. I need to gradually add salt, I know, but they don't seem to be doing as well on the second day, as the first.

I am concerned about food and wonder if there is somewhere I can order frozen foods, etc. I bought shrimp at the store (which people fix) and wondered if that would be OK, on a short term basis. I can dig up worms or buy nightcrawlers at work. I need some direction with these little jewels!!

Thank you!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: I am new, and boy, do I need help!! :)

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Walmart's horrendous information on their puffers are the #1 reason folks come to this forum. :(
Start here: library/category/puffers-in-focus/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Bonnie#1
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: I am new, and boy, do I need help!! :)

Post by Bonnie#1 »

As previously stated, I brought 2 puffers home, to save them from "Lucifer" (I named the little devil at the vets home!!). Well, one died and I have one left. He did eat a worm a few days ago, but I can't get him to eat anything else, at the present. What can I do?? Is he doomed?? I hope not!
Thank you!