My new figure 8's

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Nickish
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Uk

My new figure 8's

Post by Nickish »

Hi there, i just got my self 2 baby figure 8 puffers yesterday.

I have a 17gal tank fully cycled. (lots of live plants some medium smooth gravel and a few bits of driftwood)

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
PH -7.5

I wasn't planning on getting brackish fish though so i took the word of the guy at my LFS in regards to how much salt to put in the tank.

I floated the fish for about 30 mins whilst slowly introducing my water into the bag.

One of them seemed to be really lively and happy both in the bag and in my tank now that i have let him out. The other was just sitting around on the bottom of the tank in the store then in the back and then in my tank for the first day, then i came home from work today and found him swimming right at the surface of the water.

Did this guy sell me a sick fish? have i done something wrong?

I am new to keeping puffers (obviously) so please tell me as the last thing i want to do is be hurting him.

Thanks, Nick.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: My new figure 8's

Post by Pufferpunk »

Unfortunately, your tank is only large enough for a single F8. Maybe return the other one?
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nickish
Puffer Fry

Post by Nickish »

Pufferpunk wrote:Unfortunately, your tank is only large enough for a single F8. Maybe return the other one?

Okay thank you for the information the guy in the shop didn't even ask me what size their tank was going to be.
Nickish
Puffer Fry

Post by Nickish »

Pufferpunk wrote:Unfortunately, your tank is only large enough for a single F8. Maybe return the other one?
They guy in the shop didn't even ask what size my tank was i will make sure i am home from work in time to get there and speak to him tomorrow.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Store employees are there to sell you stuff. They don't care what happens to this living being after it leaves the store.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Nickish
Puffer Fry

Post by Nickish »

Pufferpunk wrote:Store employees are there to sell you stuff. They don't care what happens to this living being after it leaves the store.
I'll soon get him to take the fish back don't you worry. It's local to me. I can't understand how anyone can be so slack when there is a living creatures life at stake... that's why i came on here as soon as something didn't seem right.

Thank you for your advice
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm glad you came here & I'm sure your remaining puffer will be too!