I'm undecided

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Liam
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Italy

I'm undecided

Post by Liam »

Hello! I'm William, I write from Italy and I am a reptiles and mantids breeder. I'm going to set up an aquarium of 150 net liters, and I would like to keep a specie of puffer. I would like breed them, but I saw that this goal is easily reachable only with Carinotetraodon (freshwater), that are not very showy. So I moved my attention to the brackish species. In particular, I was undecided between Tetraodon nigroviridis, T.biocellatus, T.fluviatilis and T.sabaensis. I know that the latter is very rare, so three species remain, with preference for T.fluviatilis or T.nigroviridis. What do you advise me according to the size of my aquarium? Furniture: rocks, mangroves or other high salinity tolerant plants, coral sand or gravel and water (with water conditioner) mixed with seawater.
PS: Can I also add other fish??
Thank you all!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: I'm undecided

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
That's <40g, so if you're thinking of keeping more than 1 fish in there, stick with the biocellatus. You could keep 3.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Liam
Puffer Fry

Post by Liam »

Thank you for welcome!
If I choose 3 T.biocellatus, can I put some Brachygobius? And If I choose T.fluviatilis, how many puffers I can put? (I know T.fluviatilis is bigger, so I just wondering if I can put two individuals :) )
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

1 single fluviatilis. I haven't had much luck keeping puffers with other fish.
Please look over out Pufferpedia for profiles & minimum recommended tank sizes. Also, great info in our Library. Both found under the Learn tab, above.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Liam
Puffer Fry

Post by Liam »

Oh yeah I've read this article library/puffer-care/inside-the-mind-of-a-puffer/ and yes... Is better they are kept solo :D
So I have to decide: 3 T.biocellatus or 1 T.fluviatilis :D Thank you all!!! Is right the use of tap water mixed with marine water?