Id puffer

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

Id puffer

Post by martini57 »

So I was at my Lfs the other day, and they had what they called "spotted puffers". They looked like gsp's, well most of them anyways, BUT the scientific name was for ceylons. They were all between 2 and 3 inches, including tail. I was thinking about getting one after I get a tank ready for them. But how would I be able to tell the difference between a juvenile gsp and a juvenile Ceylon? They are in completely freshwater at the store, but since I will be doing a fish less cycle with the new tank I can start it at whatever salinity I want and cycle it that way. So if I were to decide to go for it and start this tank, what should I start it at? I know that they are high brackish/ full marine when they are adults, but since they are small should I start them lower?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Id puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

GSPs & Ceylons look totally different, even as juvies. My guess is they are mislabeled.
Cycle as FW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Just to throw in a totally different idea. If you can get a 100% confirmation that they are either gsp or Ceylon, set up as a marine tank with lots of live rock (pre-cured or cute it yourself) and drip acclimate them. You then do not need to mess around raising the salinity and adding live rock etc
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

I went and looked at them again today, the ones that looked like they could possibly be ceylons aren't there anymore, the rest just look like gsp's. Are there any other puffers that are light green with black spots?
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

Well I just got news that we are moving in December, so another puffer is probably gonna have to wait. BUT my fiancé said that when we get to sc, I can get as big of a tank that I want. EEEEEEKKK!!! So now the possibilities are endless. I'm gonna start a new thread to see what everyone thinks I should get