How do you keep YOUR tank clean?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

How do you keep YOUR tank clean?

Post by BedScien »

Do you remove decorations when you change the water?
Do you vacuum the substrate and/or use a net to catch bits?
How often do you rinse the filter?

So far I have removed all decorations, vacuumed and stirred the substrate, and rinsed the filters every week. I've been making a few changes over the summer holidays to make water changes easier but I still want to play it safe for my fishes sake.

Would be very interested to hear any related experiences :)

Thanks in advance
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: How do you keep YOUR tank clean?

Post by RTR »

1. "Do you remove decorations when you change the water?"

-Not in most tanks. Normally that is only done in fry-rearing tanks which are unplanted.

2. "Do you vacuum the substrate and/or use a net to catch bits?"

-Most tanks are planted, and/or have extensive wood- and/or rock-work.

-Light surface vacuuming is sufficient unless dividing clumps of plants when deep and thorough vacuuming of that plant's growth area is done before replanting.

-Large rocks or wood in unplanted tanks are lifter periodically IF the tank is not reverse-flow under-gravel filtered (most of such tanks are RFUG or plenum). RFUG or plenum don't need much substrate work.

3. "How often do you rinse the filter?"

Sponge mechanical filters or pre-filters for canisters are rinsed twice weekly, or weekly, or alternate weeks, depending on the rate of captured debris build-up in any particular tank.

Air-driven sponge biofilters (without pre-filters) are rinsed weekly or alternate weeks, depending on the build-up rate.

Canister bio-only filters (bio-ball only) are back-flushed every 3-6 months, opened ~ once annually to check and clean impeller and its housing and brush tubing as needed.

Nota Bene: Most of my tanks are not at all set as most novices' tanks are. Effectively all are multi-filtered, the majority are parts or components of multi-tank set-ups/systems.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Re: How do you keep YOUR tank clean?

Post by BedScien »

excellent will keep giving the light vacuuming a try and will carry on rinsing filter weekly :) thanks for the info
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone