HELP! new F8 coming tomorrow and water is BAD

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: HELP! new F8 coming tomorrow and water is BAD

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yep, I buy large amounts of pillow stuffing at Walmart. Carbon won't harm but don't bother replacing it. Don't add though, if you're using Melafix.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Water changes are better and cheaper than carbon (aka GAC, granular activated carbon). Carbon is expensive and limited capacity, requires routine replacement. GAC replaces nothing used up in normal tank function, water changes replace all dpleated or used minerals in exactly the percentage changed - i.e., a 50% water change replaces 50% of all used-up minerals and removes 50% of any dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) built up in the water column. Mosty manufacturers would prefer to hook you into replacing GAC routinely because it keeps you buying from them forever. Replace water, forget carbon.

I have not used carbon in FW or light BW in decades, and I'll bet Pufferpunk has not either.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

Post by martini57 »

That is great to know! That definitely saves money in the long run. What do you guys suggest for the other parts of the filter? The package says to replace the foam once a month and the bio balls once every 3 months. I put some of the batting fabric in and it really helps pick up debris( I mixed the sand around yesterday when I was moving décor and it got kinda cloudy).
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, once a month??? I have some that are 20 years old! I told you what to put inbetween: pillow stuffing. Now that, you do toss monthly.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Huge +1 to Pufferpunk's comments above!!! I'll bet that I have sponges at least as old if not older than hers! High quality open-celled foams are (almost) forever! I do still have my original Eheim filter it has to be pushing 40 if not more. I can't run it any longer, as the impeller is worn out and has not been made in decades, but the sponges are still okay. The originals of the basic canisters are all still going.

But I use no, repeat no, disposable filter media other than a rare diatom cleaning. Water changes, rinse-able media, veggie filters, plenum tanks and combinations of such do the jobs needed.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yep, the only thing I've ever had to replace was an impeller & an occasional intake tube I've stepped on.

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

So if the sponge gets dirty I just stick it in a bucket of water from the tank and squeeze it out? And same thing with the bio balls? Because if so, that is great!
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

Also, I'm not entirely sure what veggie filters are.... Should I have one of those?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I just rinse mine in tap water.

RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Bioballs should be rinsed in fish & bacteria safe water. Most of my sponges are mechanical filtration only, so tap water is fine. I do have duplicates for most, so I leave them beside the tank room sink to dry before re-use. I do prefer to keep biofiltration and particulate filtration separate. I'm just more comfortable with separate bio- and mechanical filtration. I do prefilter my canisters which contain bioball, so opening my quite old canisters is infrequently required. All bioball containing canisters are back-flushed the first water change of the month. Those canisters are opened only once or twice a year to check the impellers and hoses. Prefilter sponges are rinsed once or twice weekly. Those techniques make frequent sponge rinsing easy and simple.

I learned years ago that quick and easy things I can do with little thought or time investment. The initial set-up requires extra time and effort, but time-savings and simplicity over the years is great. Most of my upkeep time is brainless, which means it does get done. I'm very big on easy upkeep.

My fish and tanks don't change very often.