miss sold puffer need help!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
afoifa
Puffer Fry
Location (country): UK

miss sold puffer need help!

Post by afoifa »

I have a 20g tank and saw some dwarf puffers for sale. To be honest I love puffers and always wanted them but can't tell much difference

They were labeled dwarf but when I got them home they appear to.me to be gsp, they have that green streak about them.

They are only about 1.5 inches big, I have 2.....how long can they stay.in there? Safely I mean, I'm converting my 5ft to.marine and is an unfinished project, I can get another tank in 2 months time....would they be ok till then or take one back, as I've fallen in.love and would prefer to keep them.

Lastly how can I convert to brackish? Drip method or slowly add slightly more each time.

Oh sorry one more thing is a hydrometer he same as a refractometer? In terms.of reading salinity. Wow been a busy night reading.

Thanks and please help
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: miss sold puffer need help!

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum. It's rare to have puffers missold here, where did you get them? To convert to brackish you raise the salinity of a stable tank by 0.002 per week. Is the tank they are in cycled? 2 puffers that size will unlikely be ok in a 20g for that long, have you checked the friday ad as you often get 5 foot tanks for £50 on there.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
afoifa
Puffer Fry

Post by afoifa »

Got them from a store in bristol, I can get my fiance to take one back, I'm at work till later but could post a pic then ....just to make sure,

Yeah sorry was a bit premature asking so many questionss just panicked and asked then found some good advice on salinity in the forums.

I got two as I thought one would get lonely but 1 will do fine? It's just I already setting my main 5x2x2 for reef and mimic tangs, so if I.keep 2 they will need a huge tank too right? Only.have a small house so I could cater a new tank for one.

So 1 would be fine.....for now? Just worried about loneliness.
afoifa
Puffer Fry

Post by afoifa »

Oh and the tank is fully cycled had other fish in there for over a year but saw they were selling puffers in my lfs and sold them all as I've wanted puffers for ages.

I do weekly 25% water changes and regular parameter checks.
I've kept tropical for over 10 years but puffers and brackish are new to me. Getting The hang of marine though as I've been researching for 4 months.

Would a hydrometer suffice for now?
afoifa
Puffer Fry

Post by afoifa »

Ok I took one back and informed them (along with pics) that he is a gsp not a dwarf, spent 5 hours reading these forums on anything gsp related.

He is a little stressed, greyish belly and is hiding behind some rocks , ill keep my eye on him as he isnt very active, did a water test

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Temp 76

Still in fresh water but ordered a hydroometer until I can afford a decent refractometer and about to order some marine salt, and new tank in 3 months.

But im really going to try to make this work and give him the best life possible, so cute.

My son named him bob after that blue goo thing from monsters vs aliens lol
afoifa
Puffer Fry

Post by afoifa »

Well he didn't make it! Devastated.

Went to the shop an the 3 others they had passed...bad batch 3?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Oh no, so sorry! Do you think you'd get another one, since you're so well prepared now?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
afoifa
Puffer Fry

Post by afoifa »

Oh definatly, I've been searching so hard to find them, phoned around 19 different shops, one said they can order them in, which is great....will take about a month but that's an extra month more researching and preparing.

Only.had him a short time but he was amazing, the whole family loved him.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

It's always sad to loose a pet, especially when they have so much personality. Hope the next one is a better quality and healthier fish for you
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm confused--are you getting another GSP or some DPs?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

afoifa
Puffer Fry

Post by afoifa »

I've ordered one gsp, some salt, and a hydrometer

My fiance is heading to florida at the end of the month with my son , so said she will pick me up a refractometer as it will work out cheaper than the UK, also when she is back I can buy a new tank , so the gsp will have a bigger tank in 2 months possibly 3 if cycling takes longer.

I thought she would say no lol as we have too many tanks as it is....guess she wants a puffer as much as me :D
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

You can pick up a fefractometer for less than £30. search the friday as for used tanks 4ft and 5ft tanks are often found for £50 ish
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

A refractometer needs to be calibrated.

afoifa
Puffer Fry

Post by afoifa »

Everything is set up, just one problem, rang around 15 shops and no one has a gsp.
and cant order as its not on the list.....anyone know anywhere? After all this im willing to travel
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
5 GSPs
Location (country): South Leicestershire
England

Post by TrevorA »

afoifa wrote:I've ordered one gsp, some salt, and a hydrometer

My fiance is heading to florida at the end of the month with my son , so said she will pick me up a refractometer as it will work out cheaper than the UK, also when she is back I can buy a new tank , so the gsp will have a bigger tank in 2 months possibly 3 if cycling takes longer.

I thought she would say no lol as we have too many tanks as it is....guess she wants a puffer as much as me :D
Refractometer under £19 on Amazon.

GSPs all over Leicestershire:) depends where you are I guess. I know of 4 places within 10 miles of me I can get them if that's any use?