Identify puffer

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
spamer80
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Nigroviridis, Dwarf, Colomessus, Porcupine.
Location (country): Russia

Identify puffer

Post by spamer80 »

Hello, I have two brackish ones and both were sold to me about a year ago as "green puffer". They both according to belly color feel good and happy, eating, playing with me etc. But the back color is different. I think that one of them is Nigroviridis and another one is Fluviatilis. But still asking for help to be sure which one is which. The second puffer colors varies from green to yellow sometimes. Regards!
Image Image
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Identify puffer

Post by bertie 83 »

Both are green spotted puffers. Teteraodon nigroviridis
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I love the fat one on the left. :)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Bear
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Derpy, the figure 8

Post by Bear »

I happen to think that the OP may be correct on thinking they may be different. I know there are many variations of patterns in each different type of puffer, but at first glance the photo on the right looked like a Figure 8 puffer (Tetraodon biocellatus) or possibly the fluviatilis. When or if you have seen their belly color go black/dark does the one you suspect to be fluviatilis have a pattern or does is just have a gradual or non patterned darkening? I hope that makes sense. If it has a distinct pattern on the belly, in my opinion,it would be something other than Teteraodon nigroviridis.

I suggest looking through the "puffer pedia" in the brackish section and see if this helps with your identification. ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/
spamer80
Puffer Fry

Post by spamer80 »

Bear wrote:I happen to think that the OP may be correct on thinking they may be different. I know there are many variations of patterns in each different type of puffer, but at first glance the photo on the right looked like a Figure 8 puffer (Tetraodon biocellatus) or possibly the fluviatilis. When or if you have seen their belly color go black/dark does the one you suspect to be fluviatilis have a pattern or does is just have a gradual or non patterned darkening? I hope that makes sense. If it has a distinct pattern on the belly, in my opinion,it would be something other than Teteraodon nigroviridis.

I suggest looking through the "puffer pedia" in the brackish section and see if this helps with your identification. ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/
Thank you for your reply, here is some old photo, from when I've got this puffer(s). You can see the black belly of possible Fluviatilis.
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image
sgtmyers88 wrote:I love the fat one on the left. :)
Some Fatty pics special for you -)
Image Image Image

Image Image
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

The puffer on the right photo is not, repeat not, an F-8. It lacks the required markings.

My vision is poor, but they both look like GSPs to me. I agree w/Bertie.

The one in the left photo is too fat, needs to trim down a good bit - it has no chin at all. The one on the right photo may be okay if recently fed. Otherwise it could trim down a bit more as well. Overfeeding GSPs is so easy to do.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

I strongly agree with RTR and Bertie. They're both Tetraodon nigroviridis. As RTR mentioned, T. biocellatus has distinctive ocellus markings that easily distinguish it from similarly colored/patterned T. nigroviridis/fluviatilis.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Bear
Puffer Fry

Post by Bear »

Okay, sorry. I was looking at the top of it's head and it's hard too see but the pattern seemed a little bit like the fluviatilis. And the color, to me, had more of a yellow tint, like the fluviatilis and biocellatus have. That's why I was asking about the belly when it gets dark. Maybe I missed something but I got the impression that their bellies were different too when not happy and bright white? Not trying to argue with the experts; but would it be possible to get a picture of the top of the fish in question's head?
spamer80
Puffer Fry

Post by spamer80 »

Bear wrote:Okay, sorry. I was looking at the top of it's head and it's hard too see but the pattern seemed a little bit like the fluviatilis. And the color, to me, had more of a yellow tint, like the fluviatilis and biocellatus have. That's why I was asking about the belly when it gets dark. Maybe I missed something but I got the impression that their bellies were different too when not happy and bright white? Not trying to argue with the experts; but would it be possible to get a picture of the top of the fish in question's head?
The fat one never been with dark belly, so I can't say it's different or not, sorry.
Bear
Puffer Fry

Post by Bear »

I'm sorry again I didn't see the second set of photos. I agree that it's not the biocellatus. However I just was curious and appreciate the knowledge of other people here, and the opportunity to see all variations in each type of puffer. Yay I learned something.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

They both look just like my GSP's ;) Thanks for sharing the photos though. I love them.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
spamer80
Puffer Fry

Post by spamer80 »

Ok, thank you all. It's kind of surprise for me that one species could have such variety in colors. So that's why they both swim together. But I probably have the two females because they don't attack each other. Or it's just their character.
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

Can you get a better pic of this one from the top? Looking down. The one swimming down.

Last edited by purplecandle on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

It is terribly easy to get muddled by color in fish tanks. Perceived color is dependent on multiple factors which are not under the control of the fish, plus others which are part of the fish's response to surroundings as perceived by the fish and its currant state security and mood. Background, substrate, decor, light spectrum and intensity are factors beyond the fish's control, but the fish will react to all of those. We only very rarely have enough data to judge from the info given by the poster (if any). Species differentiation from each other based on color in posted photos on the web is highly iffy at best. For F-8s, the configuration of the dorsal markings is likely to have more info about where the fish was caught than about it's species. Our definition of that species is largely by it's two caudal peduncle eye-spots (one on each side of the fish) than anything else.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
spamer80
Puffer Fry

Post by spamer80 »

purplecandle wrote:Can you get a better pic of this one from the top? Looking down. The one swimming down.

Sorry, my tank is under heavy 3-section cover with lamps so this is probably the maximum angle I can take a picture. I will try but don't know how much time it will take.