Moving with a GSP

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Mrs. Puff
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP named Samwell
Location (country): USA

Moving with a GSP

Post by Mrs. Puff »

So it turns out that I am going to be moving from Georgia to Maryland (10 1/2 hour drive) probably in a couple of months, and obviously I want to bring my fish with me. I'm not particularly worried about my goldies or my bettas, but I am a bit worried about my GSP. I'm worried that he might be more sensitive than my freshwater fishes and won't be able to handle the move quite as well....I'm really attached to all of my fish, and I would be pretty devastated if my little guy didn't survive the trip. So I'm trying to come up with a game plan to make the move as smooth as possible, and I'm hoping I can get some advice?

Here is what I was thinking of doing:

I do have some extra tanks that aren't in use at the moment, including a 37g. Maybe about a week or two before I move the fish I could set up the extra 37g at my new place as a temporary home for my GSP. I could set the heater to the right temp and get the salinity all right beforehand, so that my GSP doesn't have to wait for me to set up his regular 40g tank, which could take awhile. I don't want him to be in a bag or whatever any longer than he needs to.

On the day I decide to move the fish I was thinking that I'd transport my GSP in a breather bag and stick him in one of those styrofoam cooler things. I know you're not supposed to move GSPs with a net, so I'll probably try to scoop him out with a tupperware container or something. Then I guess I'll pack up the filters and put all the filter media in a bucket of tank water or something to keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

As soon as I arrive at the new place with the fish I'll float the bag in the temp tank for about 15 minutes. I can also check the salinity and temp to make sure they are alright. I've heard some people suggest that you then open the bag and let some of the new tank water into the bag to help acclimate them? Would that be a good idea?

I've never traveled this far with fish before, so I'm really nervous....does anybody have any advice on how I can pull this off successfully? Is the plan I've come up with a good one or is there a lot of stuff that I'm not taking into account? Any advice is really appreciated. o;
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Moving with a GSP

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"