Quick question on figure 8

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Sterling
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): South Africa

Quick question on figure 8

Post by Sterling »

Is it just me or is the figure eight more streamlined than the GSP? The GSP always seems a bit more plump than the figure eights.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Quick question on figure 8

Post by RTR »

Yes, they are. Their configuration is closer to that of the SAPs. Their temperament is similar to that of the GSPs. All three of these fish tend to be active, inquisitive, and very responsive to their keepers. Given very young specimens and appropriately sized and 'scaped tanks, all three can and will tolerate con-specifics (others of the same species, age, and size) better than many puffers, but it can require fairly large tanks, even for the two smallish puffer species. When in doubt about tank size being adequate, keep singletons.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Sterling
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Sterling »

I was mainly worried that my figure 8s were underweight because they weren't as fat as my GSPs . Don't worry they are in separate setups
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Careful about fattening GSPs.;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Sterling
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Sterling »

But then how do I know if my puffer is the correct weight?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Feed to a slightly rounded belly, every other day.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Sterling
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Sterling »

Ok thanks, but dwarf puffers can be fed everyday?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'd skip at least 1 day/week.

RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

DPs can eat frequently, and I have not seen any morbidly obese ones myself. But I have lots and lots of morbidly obese GSPs. In fact I see more of those than healthy ones. Lots of things adversely affect lifespan in captive fish, but obesity is very high on that list. I also have to admit that my first puffers were GSPs and I kept them in inappropriate water conditions, in a grossly undersized tank, where they managed to live well up into their late teens before I lost contact with them after their second owner moved away from the area. But they were still not obese. They lived in one of my labs until I traded them off, then in a co-worker's lab in the same building until their second owner moved out of the area when they were about 15 years old. They got two~!/3 partials weekly while they were in the labs. Their diet was >90% live snails from my Cicchlid fry grow-out tanks, mostly ramshorn snails, some common pond snails. But they were never obese. They ate daily during the work week, no weekend feeding. They were severely stunted, but quite normal in appearance even if stunted. Their colors were clear, caps quite bright, and continued as active as they were when young. I'll never suggest stunting fish intentionally, but it is not always fatal. They never showed any symptoms of parasites. We were fortunate in having a substantial number of veterinary pathologists in the building - the man I replaced in that job was one of them and I had worked with him while I was there in the military. I took over his position as a civilian when he moved to the Vet Path section to finish his research.
Sterling
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Sterling »

Wow RTR that's very interesting! What I've done with my dwarfs is using a floating feeder and adding a block of whatever frozen food. They then nibble away the whole day. Is that alright? None of my dwarfs are obese in my opinion. Maybe two of the ladies are a bit plump but that's it.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Same here--I add live worms to the cone every other day & they graze on it. I wouldn't add a frozen cube of anything without rinsing off the "juice" 1st.

RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

That is my technique as well (Pufferpuk's live blackworms in the cone). I do add a small cast herp water/food dish below the cone to catch some escapees for the more bashful DPs (or other species). That reduces the population of blackworms in the substrate, but does not eliminate them entirely. Some do establish in the tank. The DPs have a hard time catching them in the substrate.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

RTR wrote:That is my technique as well (Pufferpuk's live blackworms in the cone). I do add a small cast herp water/food dish below the cone to catch some escapees for the more bashful DPs (or other species). That reduces the population of blackworms in the substrate, but does not eliminate them entirely. Some do establish in the tank. The DPs have a hard time catching them in the substrate.
I've always wondered how many are living in my 10g! Although it seems like the loaches would take care of them lol
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR