Two GSPs 40GAL Tank

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United states

Two GSPs 40GAL Tank

Post by adamsmx34 »

I've been doing my research and unfortunately my LSF, sold me 2 GSPs and I'm afraid they won't jive together in my 40gal tank. I also am concerned for the little guys health because they were put in an non cycled tank, thanks again LSF. Hopefully they won't get too badly damaged or hurt because this is my very first fish tank and I had no idea what I was doing. Must admit I'm addicted now.

My two GSP Pierce and Buster seem to be getting along pretty well at the moment. I had some concerns regarding their diet. I currently feed them a small amount of food at night when I turn on the tank light. I feed them frozen blood worms and snails (once a week). I was wondering what else I could include in the diet. They are still juveniles and are in brackish conditions I got them custom to the water first. My refractometer reads 1.014, is that too high? How often should I include snails in the diet?

I have a question regarding possibly breeding the snails I get, is it possible to breed them without setting up a tank? I believe the snails I get are ramshorn snails.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions. Very much a newbie to fishkeeping.
Last edited by adamsmx34 on Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Two GSPs 40GAL Tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I'm confused--with all this bad advice from your LFS, where have you been doing your research?

Lotsa more research for ya:
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
library/category/feeding/
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

The 2 puffers I purchased from the LFS told me the puffer I had bought would be alright in an uncycled tank. From what I read you only want to put them in a cycled tank. Secondly for the diet part I read they needed snails or small crustaceans. Right now I feed them daily enough for their bellies to get rounded. I feed them frozen blood worms 4-5days a week and snails once a week. The tank is only about 5days old. (Still in the cycling process.) My question is what should I do? Because my poor puffers are in an uncycled tank the LFS won't take them back because it's purchase as is.
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

Also, the majority of the research I've been doing is reading forums. From all over the place. I hope my previous post clarifies things for you.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm glad you found us! Please read ALL the links I posted for you. Your questions are answered in them. I pity all the fish sold at that LFS. :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

Thanks for advice and help. Is it likely my puffers will survive the cycling process?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

The article on Emergency Cycling explains how to avoid this, as it can cause permanent damage to your puffer's skin, eyes & gills, causing early death. Please let me know if after you thoroughly read the articles I linked you to, you have more questions.

adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

If I have any further questions I'll gladly ask. Any and all help greatly appreciated. I'm reading the articles now. .
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum, those articles will help you out but feel free to ask about anything you are unsure of. Personally I would get some fully cured live rock and up your salinity to accommodate ( drip acclimating your puffers to marine salinity) and bingo, you need at least 1lb live rock per gallon and it needs to be fully cured
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

Bertie you have lost me, I should go ahead and make my tank a marine tank? And up the salinity to about 1.022ish? Or higher at the moment the salinity is 1.017 just checked with my refractometer.

My puffers seem to be moving and swimming very actively. And what would the live rock do? Help create bacteria?

I attempted to add an attachment that is my current set up.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

IMO, this tank is 20g too small for the minimum tank size for these puffers as adults. Adding 40lbs of live rock to that will take up a TON of real estate in there. Personally, I think you need to re-home one of those fish, if you aren't planing on upgrading.

adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

Unfortunately I don't have the current funds to upgrade nor purchase another tank. However would there be somewhere that has a deal tanks? I really would hate to have to lose a fish. I was lead to believe this tank was around 35-40gallons.

This tank is probably 10 years old, been in my house forever finally decided to set it up as it was my dads.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I wrote this up to help with your cycling situation. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32416
And yes you can try craigslist.org for other tank options.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

sgtmyers88 wrote:I wrote this up to help with your cycling situation. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32416
And yes you can try craigslist.org for other tank options.
As this is a brackish tank I am assuming Bio-Spira would be the best solution? Since it is more of a marine product? Also, I've visited glasscages.com and looked at a few different options. Is 700ish a decent deal for a sump filtration a tank and a stand? Please feel free to look around on the site and let me know.

I'd prefer not to purchase off Craigslist because of previous transactions.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

B-S will be iffy at best, at your SG. A bit too low for SW bacteria & way too high for FW bacteria to survive. Be sure to add it directly to your filter. Expect some bacteria die off, unless you want to raise the SG a bit, to around 1.018.

I agree with Craigslist, you can find some kick-a$$ deals on there! I found a 180g gorgeous tank with oak cabinet & canopy for $400!