First Figure 8 tank, PLEASE HELP

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
plessans
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

First Figure 8 tank, PLEASE HELP

Post by plessans »

First off, I'm new to this forum and pufferfish, but not to aquariums. I have kept a reef tank in the past. I read the library topic on F8s, but it did not answer my questions. I am currently under the impression that an F8 should have a pH between 7.5-8.0. If this is wrong, then please correct me. I am looking for rocks that I can use in my 30 gallon brackish tank to-be that won't alter the pH and will act as a buffer, but also rocks that have no affect on water quality. The woman at my LFS said I shouldn't use base rock because it'll make the pH=8.4, which would be above the safe pH range. Is she right? Also, I plan on starting it in SG=1.000 and slowly increase it to SG=1.004 and keeping the water brackish for the remainder of its life. What kind of rock will work for a tank like this? Thanks.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: First Figure 8 tank, PLEASE HELP

Post by RTR »

Please do not accept pH figures as highly significant on their own. The pH testing is quick and easy, but does not on its own give you the data you really need, which is the carbonate/bicarbonate hardness (aka Alcalinity or carbonate harness, KH). If I had to specify a pH range, I would say pH 7.5 to ~8.5. But most water supplies will not stabilize much over pH8. If yours does so, that is fine. Never use commercial buffers, no mater what the LFS/chain or other store may try to sell you.

I use only aragonite sands, and I prefer CaribSea brand, which offers a good "color" and grain size selection. Aragonite sands need not be white, and while the "colors" are not all white, none are very strong colors, but just enough to reduce the glare common in many SW and BW tanks. A thin layer of sand is sufficient and easier to maintain. Over time some will dissolve and so supplements are required periodically. F-8 do not bury themselves as some puffers do, so the thinner sand bed is more easily maintained with weekly stirring and then vacuuming out any debris turned up.

Coral rock or other aragonite rock is suitable for decor. Lots of areas for exploration are a plus. I am conservative on co-hosing theses and other puffers. F-8s are quite active swimmers. so IME are better in longer tanks than in taller ones. They are also long-lived if well maintained (average at or over 15 years in captivity for me). I am generous with water volumes per fish, and have kept one in a 20-long, or two in a 30-long or 33XL. A 40-long should house 3, but I have not had great success with that tank size. When more than one is house in the same tank,"refuges" - open fronted shallow "caves" are provided such that the two or more co-housed fish are not directly in the sight of each other when resting or sleeping. Provide at least one more refuge than fish, and more spares is better still. Broken sight lines in the tank are helpful. The smaller the fish you buy are, the better you chances of compatibility.

The strongest current should be parallel with the front glass and not broken up much by decor to provide exercise space. These fish border on hyperactive, but are very responsive to the presence of the keeper and like many of their kin are master beggars. Do not over-feed - it shortens their lives. It also fouls the water.

I have kept my F-8s best at SG 1.003 -1.005, w/weekly 50% partials or more if needed to keep nitrate at or below 20ppm. Too much light can promote algae in the long, narrow, shallow tanks in which these fish show up best IME, so use less light than in planted FW tanks.

HTH

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
RTR is correct--if you use aragonite sand, it should buffer the pH around a steady 8.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
RTR is correct--if you use aragonite sand, it should buffer the pH around a steady 8.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

plessans
Puffer Fry

Post by plessans »

Do I really need a power head or will the filters provide enough current?
plessans
Puffer Fry

Post by plessans »

I want to setup a small snail breeding tank. What do I need for such a small tank?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

iuryzardo
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3 Figure 8
Brackish water 1004 sg, 26 c,  pH 7.9 , Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 0, 200L.
Location (country): Brasil, Brasilia

Post by iuryzardo »

Hello guys,
I'm a new here in this forum...
I'm recently created an aquarium for my puffers, for now I have 1 1 F8 and Tetraodon nigroviridis. I've been reading a lot about my puffers and keep my aquarium with 26C and pH 7.6, my ph is maintained with coral stones with 100% fresh water ... However my doubt is, Have i to add sea salt in my aquarium?