Salutations! F8 Puff Qs

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
PuffNStuf
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

Salutations! F8 Puff Qs

Post by PuffNStuf »

Hello Community,
I am pleased to join as I have been a proud F8 owner now for a few months and require some help (which I will post in the correct thread). I have recently moved him into his new 20gLong tank with 3 other BBG's (bumble-bee-goby) a hand full of Ghost Shrimp and a few MTS(malaysian trumpet snails; and yes I know there shells are not good for the Puffers beak, but they stir the sand and release pockets of gas build ups, and this particular species only come out at night, so they seem to be no harm at this point, I worry about the gases and total extermination of my tank a lot more as my F8 has had no problems thus far). I am going to start introducing the Marine Salts slowly to create his natural brackish conditions soon. The H.O.B+BioWheel filter and Fluval pre-filter sponge have been performing great and the submerged heater is currently around 82degrees with a PH around 7.8-8.2 I believe. The tank has two separate light systems with White, Red, and Blue LED's which are great for plants and visibility. I keep the nitrates as low as possible(around 5 or lower if possible), a zero ammonia and nitrite level, and GH and Kh are also kept as close to F8 puffer parameters as possible. Black sand substrate and base rock with some slate slabs are the current tank structures to keep him busy while offering lots of hiding spots for his tank-mates. Elodea Densa and some type of mystery floating plant species are the only plants in the tank as of now (still researching for the floater, I'll post pics soon and maybe someone can help identify).
I also have 4 other working tanks with an assortment of Cichlids in a 55g, Amazon River Basin fish in another 20gH, Ramshorn snails and Ghost shrimp feeders in a 10g, and a hospital tank of course, etc.
I have a lot more to add but will spare you A.T.M. LOL
Have a Happy Easter and I look forward to meeting you all soon!
Regards,
PuffNStuff out....
Last edited by PuffNStuf on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdraiders
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United states

Re: Salutations!

Post by sdraiders »

I am new here as well. Welcome!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

We really like numbers here if possible. Liquid-based test kits generally allow reasonably accurate numerical readings. Saying "I keep the nitrates as low as possible,..." provides no real information to readers. Please give us numerical readings whenever possible.

MTS are not good tankmates for puffers. Whenever seen they should be removed. It is not easy to eradicate them, but we should remove any we see. It is not particularly easy to co-house predators and prey together. Most of us prefer to house them separately so that we can keep the prey well nourished and control the timing and quantity of feedings. Co-housing may lead to more pollution than you want in the 20-long.

F-8s are among my favorite puffers. In light BW (1.003-5) they are healthy, active, and long-lived.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Welcome! I suddenly have the urge to watch charlottes web :P
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Good to have you onboard PuffNStuff. Happy Easter!!
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"